Can a student receive housing assistance (PLA, ALS, ALF)?
Verified 17 January 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Yes, you can receive housing assistance if you meet the following 4 conditions:
- You are French or foreign with a residence permit valid
- You rent a decent housing
- You don't have relationship with the owner of the rental unit
- You have resources (salary, scholarship...) below certain limits.
To find out if you can collect housing assistance, you can use the Caf simulator.
The application for housing assistance must be made from a remote service.
Depending on the nature of the accommodation and your family situation, you may receive one of the following 3 housing benefits:
- personalized housing assistance (LPA) if you are single or in a relationship with or without a dependant and you rent a conventional housing,
- social housing allowance (SLA) if you are single or in a couple, without dependants and you are renting unconventional accommodation,
- family housing allowance (FLA) if you are single or in a relationship with 1 dependant and you are renting unconventional accommodation.
if you receive housing assistance, you are no longer considered dependent on your parents for the calculation of family benefits.. Thus, when your parents receive these benefits, you have to choose between being a recipient and being a dependent child.
- Housing allowancesService-Public.fr