Can a student receive housing assistance (APL, ALS, ALF)?
Verified 11 February 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Yeah. Yeah. If you're a student, you can get a housing aid if you respect the 4 following conditions :
- You are French or foreigners with a residence permit valid
- You rent a decent housing
- You don't have related to the owner of the dwelling you are renting
- You have resources (salary, scholarship...) below certain limits
In the case of a flatshare, you can receive housing assistance. The rent taken into consideration for the calculation of the aid is then divided according to the number of roommates. Each roommate must apply for his or her own housing assistance.
To get an estimate of the amount of housing assistance you can receive, you can use a simulator:
if your parents receive family allowances and you receive housing assistance, you will no longer be considered for housing charge of your parents. Their benefits may be reduced or even eliminated. So you have to choosing between receiving housing assistance or staying at the expense of your parents.
Your request for housing assistance must be made online:
It is recommended to make your request for housing assistance as soon as you enter the premises in the accommodation.
Depending on the nature of the accommodation and your family situation, 3 types of housing assistance can be granted:
- Social housing allowance (SLA) if you are a single student or a couple with no dependants
- Family housing allowance (FLA) if you are a single student or a couple with a dependent, in metropolis or in the overseas departments (Dom)
- Custom Housing Assistance (APL) if you are a single student or a couple with or without a dependent, living in a contracted housing in mainland France
For more information, you can contact the number dedicated to student housing assistance:
Who shall I contact
The 1er payment of housing assistance is generally made 2 months after application.
If you apply online in February, your right will be open in March and you will receive your 1er payment at the beginning of april.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region