Can you sell or buy a non-rolling vehicle?

Verified 17 November 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

No, a vehicle that is no longer fit to drive (car, van, motorcycle, ...) may not be sold to an individual, even in pieces. It can only be sold to a automotive professional.

If the vehicle is subject to a roadworthiness test, there may no longer be any mention of a non-rolling vehicle on the roadworthiness test report. Carte grise And a vehicle marked non-rolling may not be issued.

However, you can keep a vehicle at home that can no longer drive if you are:

  • You want to recover and reuse some parts of the vehicle for strictly personal use
  • You want to transform, repair, or rehabilitate this vehicle for strictly personal use

In these cases, you must make a declaration of withdrawal from circulation.

If you want to get rid of the vehicle, you must deliver to an authorized VHU center in the case of a private car, a van or a three-wheeled moped. But beware, to be accepted free of charge by these professionals, the vehicle still has to have its essential components (powertrain, catalytic converter for the vehicles that were equipped with them when they were placed on the market or bodywork). In addition, it shall not contain any unapproved waste or equipment added to it.

In the case of disposal for destruction (or not) to a professional automobile, the vehicle transfer certificate.


abandonment of a vehicle is punishable by a fine of up to €1,500 (for a natural person) to €15,000 (for a legal person in case of recurrence).