Verified 27 May 2022 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of the Interior
The President of the Republic is elected by direct universal suffrage by French voters in the presidential elections. His term of office lasts 5 years and is renewable once. To be elected, the candidate must obtain more than half of the votes cast. If no candidate is elected on 1er in turn, the 2 candidates who have come first are allowed to run at the 2d tour, which takes place 2 weeks later.
The Coming Presidential Election to be held in 2027.
- Who can be elected President of the Republic?Vie-publique.fr
- How is the President of the Republic elected?Vie-publique.fr
- What is the role of the President of the Republic?Vie-publique.fr
- Constitution of 4 October 1958: Articles 5 to 19
- Decree No. 2001-213 of 8 March 2001 on the election of the President of the Republic
- Electoral calendar 2022 (Council of Ministers of 13 July 2021)
- Decree No. 2022-66 of January 26, 2022, summoning voters for the election of the President of the Republic
- Verify your voter registration and polling station