Disability: living (or working) home

Verified 01 April 2024 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

The living (or occupational) home accommodates adults with disabilities who have a certain autonomy to offer them activities and activities according to their disability. The care home is intended for people who do not belong to an establishment and service of assistance through labor (Ésat), a specialized shelter (Mas) or a medical care home (Fam). We present you with the information you need to know.

The home of life (or occupational home) offers adults with disabilities with a certain autonomy various activities adapted to their abilities (for example, sculpture, painting, gymnastics).

The living center may offer temporary, day-care or boarding.


The home of life is intended for persons who are not establishment and labor support service (Ésat), or a specialized reception house (Mas), or a medical home (Fam).

In order to be admitted to a care home, you must have a disability rate of at least 50% and have sufficient autonomy to carry out your daily activities (food, clothing...).

This rate is determined by the Disability Rights and Autonomy Commission (CDAPH) when you apply for admission.

In addition, you must be a French national or a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) (or have a valid residence permit if you are a foreign national).

You must make your application to the departmental house for people with disabilities (MDPH) of your department.

The request can be made online through an online service, if the MDPH: titleContent of your place of residence offers it:

Application for MDPH benefits (AAH, PCH, ...) and renewal

You can also apply by post through a form:

Application or renewal of disability benefits (AAH, PCH, CMI, Accommodation, ...)

You must contact supporting documents mentioned in connection with your online application or on the form.

Documents must be sent to the MDPH: titleContent where you live (or scanned if you apply online).

Who shall I contact

The Committee on the Rights and Autonomy of Persons with Disabilities (CDAPH) then meets to consider the application and make a decision on your orientation to a living center.

His reply usually takes place within 4 months from the date of submission of your application.

If no reply is received after 4 months, the application shall be considered rejected.

It is only once you have received a favorable response from the CDAPH that you can directly apply for admission to a home. A list of these structures is available from your city hall.

Who shall I contact

If you do not agree with the decision of the CDAPH, you must in a 1er time to make a prior appeal to her.

To do so, you must send a letter to the CDAPH explaining why you do not agree with its decision. You must attach the letter informing you of the decision. You may attach additional documents if you consider it necessary.

You can send your mail by post or drop it off at the reception of your MDPH.

Who shall I contact

The CDAPH has 2 months to reply to you after receiving your mail.

If you still do not agree with the CDAPH decision, you can challenge the decision with the court of law.

You have 2 months to send a letter to the court after receiving the CDAPH response to your prior appeal.

You must attach the mail received following your prior appeal to the CDAPH.

You can send your mail by post or deposit it at the reception of the court.

Your participation in the accommodation costs is based on your resources.

Nevertheless, a minimum income is left at your disposal. This amount must be at least equal to €304.82 per month.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region