Disability: specialized reception house (Mas)

Verified 01 April 2024 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

If you are seriously dependent and need a third person to carry out the everyday acts (feeding you, dressing you...), you can be accommodated in a specialized guest house (Mas). La Mas offers permanent accommodation, medical care and social activities. La Mas hosts people more dependent than the population housed in assisted living centers (Fam). We present you with the information you need to know.

The specialized reception house (Mas) offers permanent accommodation to a severely dependent disabled adult who cannot perform the everyday acts of life alone (eating, dressing...).

This type of accommodation offers individual rooms. There are generally 10 of them per Mas.

Les Mas offers activities for residents such as manual activities, relaxation, music.


In principle, the Mas hosts people who are a little more dependent than the population accommodated in medical home (Fam)However, in practice, the audiences are much the same.

To be welcomed in Mas, you need a third person to carry out the daily acts (dress, move...) and need constant medical supervision and care.

In addition, you must be a French national or a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) (or have a valid residence permit if you are a foreign national).

You must make your application to the departmental house for people with disabilities (MDPH) of your department.

The request can be made online through an online service, if the MDPH: titleContent of your place of residence offers it:

Application for MDPH benefits (AAH, PCH, ...) and renewal

You can also apply by post through a form:

Application or renewal of disability benefits (AAH, PCH, CMI, Accommodation, ...)

You must contact supporting documents mentioned in connection with your online application or on the form.

Documents must be sent to the MDPH: titleContent where you live (or scanned if you apply online).

Who shall I contact

The Committee on the Rights and Autonomy of Persons with Disabilities (CDAPH) then meets to consider the application and to take a decision on your orientation in March.

His reply usually takes place within 4 months from the date of submission of your application. If no reply is received after 4 months, the request shall be considered rejected.

Only once you have received a favorable response from the CDAPH can you apply directly to a Mas. The list of Mas is available from your city hall.

Who shall I contact

If you do not agree with the decision of the CDAPH, you must in a 1er time to make a prior appeal to her.

To do so, you must send a letter to the CDAPH explaining why you do not agree with its decision. You must attach the letter informing you of the decision. You may attach additional documents if you consider it necessary.

You can send your mail by post or drop it off at the reception of your MDPH.

Who shall I contact

The CDAPH has 2 months to reply to you after receiving your mail.

If you still do not agree with the CDAPH decision, you can challenge the decision with the court of law.

You have 2 months to send a letter to the court after receiving the CDAPH response to your prior appeal.

You must attach the mail received following your prior appeal to the CDAPH.

You can send your mail by post or deposit it at the reception of the court.

You must contribute to the accommodation costs, unless you collect the complementary health solidarity (your costs are then covered by the Health Insurance).

Nevertheless, a minimum income is left at your disposal. This amount must be at least €304.82 per month.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region

Fact sheets by life event