What should the employer do in the event of the death of an employee?
Verified 26 December 2022 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister), Ministry of Labor
The death of an employee is a case of force majeure which results in the termination of the contract of employment. What are the effects of death on the employment contract? What are the employer's obligations when an employee dies? Does the employer have to pay compensation to heirs of the employee? We're doing an update on the regulations.
The death of the employee is a case of force majeure.
The contract is automatically terminated as a result of death.
The employer has no specific procedure to follow.
The employer's obligations differ if the death occurs outside work or during working time.
Death outside work
The employer must:
Death during labor
The employer must make a accident at work declaration of with the sickness insurance fund (CPAM: titleContent or MSA: titleContent) on which the employee depended within 48 hours.
Sundays and public holidays are not included in this period.
It must also inform the Economic and Social Committee (ESC). The latter may conduct an investigation.
The employer must:
The employer must pay to heirs or to those entitled amounts earned on the date of death.
These amounts may be:
- Salaries not yet paid
- Premiums due
- Possible compensatory allowance for paid leave
- Any rights saved in the time savings account
- Compensation for accrued rights in compulsory quiescent consideration
In addition, the employer must provide financial assistance if collective agreement, one company use or a unilateral commitment provides for it.
Heirs or beneficiaries can request the early release of the rights in respect of wage savings (participation in the company's profits, special reserve or company savings plan...).
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Labor Code: Articles D1221-23 to D1221-27Staff register
- Labor Code: Article L3141-28Leave compensation
- Labor Code: Article D3121-23Compulsory consideration at rest
- Labor Code: Article R3332-29Unavailability of sums, early release and liquidation
- Labor Code: Article R3324-23Availability of beneficiaries' rights
- Labor Code: Article D3324-39Management of the special reserve
- Social Security Code: Articles L441-1 to L441-6Accident at work General provisions declaration
- Accident at work to: steps to be takenService-Public.fr