Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Can a foreigner who is a victim of slavery or procuring be regularized?

Verified 24 May 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Yeah. Yeah. If you are or have been a victim or witness to human trafficking or procuring, you can obtain a temporary residence card private and family life under certain conditions. This card is issued to you in exceptional cases. You must cooperate with the police (or gendarmerie) and the judiciary. At the end of the criminal proceedings, if the perpetrator(s) is/are convicted, you may be issued a 10-year residency card.

You are affected if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You're a foreigner
  • You file a complaint or testify in criminal proceedings against a person or persons prosecuted for procuring or trafficking in human beings (sexual or domestic slavery, forced removal of organs, etc.)
  • You must no longer be in contact with the accused author(s)
  • You must not pose a threat to public order

If you have been recognized as a victim as a minor, you can obtain a residence permit at the age of 18.


this procedure does not concern a foreigner who is a national of European countrynor the members of his family living in France with him.

You can request a temporary residence card private and family life. She's giving you authorizes to work. You can be accompanied in your steps by the specialized association or associations that follow you.

The investigating police or gendarmerie must hear you front your application for admission to the stay.

They offer you a 30-day reflection period to agree or not to cooperate with the judiciary and to benefit from a residence permit. If you request the cooling-off period, a 30-day receipt authorizing to work it's given to you. You must provide a photo ID.

During the cooling-off period, you cannot be returned from France.

If you don't ask for the cooling-off period, you can decide to cooperate with the law immediately.

You can also benefit from:

How do I submit the application?

You must submit your card application to the prefecture or sub-prefecture of your home. Find out more on your prefecture's website. You are given a confidential welcome.

Who shall I contact
Who shall I contact


it is not possible to carry out the procedures in some sub-prefectures. Find out more on your prefecture's website.

What documents are to be submitted?

  • Full copy of birth certificate (unless you already have a residence card) with the most recent entries
  • Passport (pages concerning civil status, validity dates, entry stamps and visas). Otherwise, other supporting documents (e.g. consular certificate, identity card, consular card).
  • 3 photos. If the request is made on the internet: enter the code of the e-photo (provided by the photographer or the approved cabin on the photo board).
  • Receipt of the complaint or reference to the legal proceedings (with your testimony)

What is the cost of the residence card?

It's free.

Where to remove the card?

The card is given to you by the prefecture (or sub-prefecture) of your home.

This card is valid for 1 year.

The temporary residence card private and family life shall be renewable throughout the criminal proceedings (including appeals).

In the event of a final conviction of the accused person, you can apply for a resident card.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region