Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Tenant Insurance - Rental Risks

Verified 25 mars 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

The tenant is responsible for the damage he causes to the building during the rental. He must therefore repair the damage caused. In most cases, the law obliges the company to take care of these risks: that is the guarantee rental risks.. There are, however, some exceptions to this legal obligation.

If you are a tenant of your dwelling, the law obliges you to insure it, at least with an insurance for rental risks..

However, you do not have to do so if it is a seasonal rental or an official housing. However, in these cases, you will have to compensate the owner if you are responsible for damage to the property.

This insurance covers damage to the property caused by a fire, an explosion or water damage..

But the coverage of this insurance only concerns the rented accommodation itself. Damage to neighbors is not covered by this insurance. They must be subject to another guarantee, called recourse by neighbors and third parties, which is optional.

In addition, rental risk insurance does not cover your property that could be damaged. The insurance will not reimburse you.

To secure your property, you must purchase a supplementary insurance, commonly named home multihazard..

When handing over the keys, the owner has the right to require you to give him a certificate of insurance, except in the case of a seasonal rental or an office accommodation.

You must also give him the insurance certificate every year.

If you do not give him this certificate, the owner can send you a formal notice.

If one month after this notice, the owner still does not have the certificate, he can subscribe for insurance on your behalf (in civil liability). You will have to pay the insurance premium in addition to the rent to the landlord, monthly.

  FYI : the owner may apply an increase in this insurance premium to compensate for the steps he has taken on your behalf. This increase may not exceed 10% of the premium.