How do I challenge a civil registration refusal from the city hall?

Verified 15 April 2024 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

The City Hall is obliged to issue you the following civil status documents:

The city hall must also update family book if you ask him to.

Civil status documents shall be drawn up by a registrar which is under the control of the public prosecutor.

In the event of an unjustified refusal by the City Council (for example, sexual orientation of a person, discriminatory ground) to issue or update an act, you can contact the Public Prosecutor of the court in whose jurisdiction the act or the register was established.

Who shall I contact

You can send your request by post or by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt.

Without a reply from him within 3 months, you can refer the matter to the court in whose jurisdiction the document or register was drawn up.

You can apply using the following form:

Application for referral to the Court of Justice

Who shall I contact

If you have problems with the city hall, you have the opportunity to refer to the Defender of Rights. Its delegates help you understand your rights and guide you in your efforts.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region