How do I challenge a civil registration refusal from the city hall?
Verified 10 November 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
The City Hall is obliged to issue you the following civil status documents:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Death certificate
- Family booklet in case of marriage or birth of the first child
the city hall must also update family book if you ask him to.
Civil status documents shall be drawn up by a registrar which is under the control of the public prosecutor.
In the event of an unjustified refusal by the City Hall to issue or update an act, you can contact the Public Prosecutor of the judicial court in whose jurisdiction the act or register was established.
Who shall I contact
You can send your request by post or by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt.
Without a reply from him within 3 months, you can refer the matter to the court in whose jurisdiction the document or register was drawn up.
You can apply using the following form:
If you have problems with the city hall, you have the opportunity to refer to the Defender of Rights. Its delegates help you understand your rights and guide you in your efforts.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Code of the Judiciary: Article R211-4Jurisdiction of the court in matters of civil status
- Decree No. 2017-890 of 6 May 2017 on civil status
- Decree No. 74-449 of 15 May 1974 on the family record book and information for future spouses on family law
- Circular of 28 October 2011 on various civil status documents relating to birth and filiation (PDF - 1.0 MB)