Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Gray card: with what documents can you prove your identity? 

Verified 19 December 2019 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Accepted documents vary depending on your situation.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement


You must prove your identity with one of the following documents:

  • Passport French or foreign
  • Driving license French or foreign
  • Combat Card issued by the French authorities
  • Identity or movement card issued by the French military authorities
  • Temporary residence card, residence card, Algerian national residence certificate, European Union or European Economic Area (EEA) national card.


these documents must to your name and is valid..

Legal person (industrial, commercial, civil)

You must have:

  • or a newspaper of legal notices dating from less than 2 years old indicating the name of the person in charge, the company object, the address and the registration number in the register of commerce and companies (RCS).

If the corporation is incorporated, you must have:

  • of an extract Kbis
  • or a certificate attesting to registration with the RCS and stating that the company is waiting for its identification number Insee: titleContent..

Individual company

You must have:

  • a Kbis extract the Commercial and Corporate Register (CSR) or the Business Identification Card issued by the Chamber of Trades
  • and proof of the address where the business is carried on.

Association, union

A legal person of the type of association, trade union or professional civil society shall have:

  • the statutes or any other evidence of legal existence or the name of the person in charge and the address of the body,
  • and proof that it is declared with a prefecture (or sub-prefecture), or recognized by an administration, a court or a professional body.

Social and Economic Committee (ex-works council) or establishment committee

You must have:

  • copy of minutes of elections
  • and the decision of the committee designating the person empowered to sign the application for registration.

Property condominium

You must have:

  • a certificate issued by a notary certifying the existence of the condominium,
  • and the minutes of the proceedings of the general meeting or of the syndicate of co-owners authorizing the trustee to proceed with the purchase of the vehicle.