French naturalization: what proof of civil status and nationality?
Verified 27 January 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
To make a French application for naturalization, you must provide the proof of civil status and nationality following:
- Your birth certificate
It must be issued by the registrar of the place where the birth certificate is kept and indicate the surname, first name, date and place of birth of your father and mother.
If any of this information is missing, the training department may ask you to provide full copies of your parents' birth certificates.
- Document justifying the date and place of birth of your father and your mother, and their marriage if they're married
- All documents proving your nationality concerning your country of origin. For example, copy of passport.
- If necessary, any document justifying a changing your name
depending on your situation, other documents may be requested.
Copy or Original
The civil status documents must be supplied in full and in original in the language of the country of origin.
For all other documents, you can provide copies. However, you will need to present the originals when you are called for an interview.
A French civil status certificate must be issued less than 3 months ago.
You must attach a translation of each document written in a foreign language.
You must provide the original translation.
The translation must be done by a translator on the list of experts approved by the courts of appeal.
However, translation is not required for a multilingual birth certificate extract one of whose languages is French.
In addition, to avoid having to translate some documents issued by a the European Union, one multilingual form can be attached.
See the e-justice site for more information.
Legalization or Apostille
Certain documents established abroad must be legalized or apostilles to be accepted in France.
Inquire at the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.
Who shall I contact
one simulator shows you the list custom of documents to be provided to request the French naturalization. You can also consult a video.
- Translating a document: how to find a certified translator?
- Naturalization: what proof of domicile to provide?
- Naturalization: what proof of resources and taxes to provide?
- French naturalization: what documents to provide if you live in a couple?
- Naturalization: what documents should you provide if you are divorced, separated or widowed?
- Naturalization: what justifications for minor children?
- French nationality: how can you justify your level in French?
- Civil status documentsService-Public.fr
- Application for asylum (refugee, subsidiary protection, stateless)Service-Public.fr
- Application for naturalizationService-Public.fr
- Legalization of documents of foreign origin (authentication)Service-Public.fr
- Table on the current state of treaty law in legalization (PDF - 793.1 KB)Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs