Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Register on a consular list of electors: what proof of residence?

Verified 11 August 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

If you are French and live abroad, you can register on a consular list to vote abroad. To register, you must provide proof of your usual residence in the consular district.

You must provide one of the following:

  • Invoice drawn up in your name by a water, electricity, gas or telephone (landline or mobile) supplier at an address in the electoral district
  • Notice of taxation (of any kind) sent to a domicile in the electoral district
  • Salary or pension voucher sent to a home in the electoral district.

With your parents

You must provide a letter signed by your father or mother stating that you are staying at home.

In another person

You must provide the following 2 documents:

  • Letter signed by the person hosting you, stating that you are staying at their home
  • A recent salary slip or other document that includes your name and the address of the person hosting you.

You may provide any documentation that would demonstrate that you are ordinarily resident in the electoral district, including the presence of economic and family interests.