Register on a consular voters list: what proof of residence?
Verified 17 January 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
If you are French and live abroad, you can register on a consular voters list to vote abroad. In order to register, you must provide proof of your usual residence in the consular district.
You must provide one of the following:
- An invoice issued in your name by a water, electricity, gas or telephone supplier (landline or mobile) to an address in the electoral district
- Notice of assessment (whatever it may be) addressed to an address for service in the electoral district
- Salary or pension voucher sent to a residence in the constituency
At your parents'
You must provide a letter signed by your father or mother certifying that you are staying with him or her.
In another person
You must provide the following 2 documents :
- A letter signed by the person hosting you, certifying that you are staying at their home
- A recent salary slip or other document that includes your name and address of the person hosting you
You can provide any document that can prove that you are ordinarily resident in the electoral district, particularly because of the presence of economic and family interests.
- Electoral Code: Articles L9 to L15-1Conditions for registration on a list of electors
- Order of 29 August 2018 establishing the list of supporting documents to be provided to register on a consular list of electors
- Instruction INTA1830120J of 21 November 2018 on the keeping of the electoral lists and supplementary electoral lists (PDF - 2.0 MB)
- Verify your voter registration and polling station
- Registration on the Consular List of ElectorsMinistry for Europe and Foreign Affairs