Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Without permanent or fixed abode (homeless): how do i get a home?

Verified 01 January 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Domiciliation, also known as election of domicile, allows any person without a permanent or fixed domicile (homeless person) to have an administrative address to receive his mail and to assert certain rights and benefits. Domiciliation is granted for a period of 1 year, renewable.

Domiciliation allows you to:

The bodies competent to carry out your domiciliation are:

  • Community social action centers (CCAS),
  • Intercommunal Social Action Centers (CIAS)
  • and organizations approved by the prefect of department.

You are considered to be homeless if you do not have an address to receive your mail in a constant and confidential manner.

This is the case if you are incarcerated, preparing for release from prison, and you do not have a rescue home or a personal home.

Please note

if you are an asylum seeker, a specific domiciliation device dialog box. This system is provided by organizations agreed by each department (association for example) that provide you with a declaration of residence for a period of 1 year renewable.

The conditions vary depending on whether you apply to a CCAS or a CIAS or to an organization approved by the prefect of the department.

With a CCAS or CIAS

You must have a connection with the commune (or the grouping of communes) for which you are applying for domiciliation.

You are considered to have this link:

  • if your place of stay is the territory of the municipality at the date of application for residence,
  • or if you work in the municipality,
  • or if you have received social, medico-social or professional integration or follow-up action or if you have taken steps to that effect in the municipality,
  • or if you have family ties with a person living in the municipality,
  • or if you have the parental authority on your minor child who is attending school in the commune.
With a recognized organization

The criteria to be met are laid down by the approval, and may therefore be different from one organization to another.

General case

The application for domiciliation must be made from a form.

Application and decision to elect a domicile (persons without a permanent home or homeless person)

It should preferably be sent by registered letter with notice of receipt to a CCAS or a CIAS or to an organization approved by the prefect of the department. Contact information can be obtained from the town hall.

Who shall I contact
Municipality of less than 1500 inhabitants without CCAS, CIAS, recognized organizations

The request for residence is made directly in the town hall.

Who shall I contact

After applying for a home or a renewal, you will have an interview. The purpose of this interview is first to inform you about your rights to home ownership and the obligations arising from it. In particular, you have the obligation to report to the body that has carried out the domiciliation at least once every 3 months.

The interview is also used to raise awareness about the importance of regularly withdrawing your mail, particularly for the collection of your rights and benefits.

The decision of the CCAS or the CIAS or the recognized organization must be made within 2 months.

Reasons must be given for any refusal and you must be notified in writing.

If the decision is favorable, a certificate is issued to you.

Certificate of residence (homeless or homeless)

Domiciliation is granted for a period of 1 year, renewable.

Domiciliation ends:

  • at your request (you have found a sustainable housing solution)
  • or if you no longer have a link with the municipality or territory of the public institution of intercommunal cooperation,
  • or if you have not presented yourself physically or appeared by telephone for more than 3 consecutive months with the organization that provided you with the certificate (unless you are absent for reasons of health or incarceration).