What is the naturalization ceremony (reception in French citizenship)?
Verified 24 August 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
The welcoming ceremony in French nationality is a ceremony during which the charter of rights and duties of french citizens it's given to you.
Who is involved in the ceremony?
You are affected if you have acquired french nationality by decree or declaration:
- Naturalization granted by decree
- Reinstatement in the French nationality granted by decree or by declaration
- Declaration because of your marriage to a Frenchman
- Declaration as the ascendant of a Frenchman
- Statement as a brother or sister of a Frenchman
- Declaration due to your birth in France of 2 foreigner parents
- Reporting because of your simple adoption or your collected by a Frenchman
However, you are not concerned if you made a statement because of your state possession of French.
Who is organizing the ceremony?
The ceremony is organized by the prefect of department (in Paris, by the police commissioner), a mayor or the French consular authority competent.
When is the ceremony?
You will receive the invitation to the ceremony within 6 months from acquisition of French nationality.
If you are become French due to your birth in France of 2 foreigners parents, you will receive the invitation within 6 months from issue of the certificate of french nationality.
Are you entitled to a leave of absence to attend the ceremony?
If you are an employed person, you and your spouse have the right to benefit from a leave of at least half a day to attend the ceremony.
You must present your invitation to the ceremony to your employer.
The duration of this leave cannot be deducted from your annual paid leave.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Civil Code: Articles 21-28 and 21-29Welcome ceremony in French citizenship
- Labor Code: Articles L3142-75 to L3142-76Leave to attend the ceremony
- Labor Code: Article L3142-77Time off to attend the ceremony
- Labor Code: Article L3142-78Time off to attend the ceremony
- Decree No. 93-1362 of 30 December 1993 on declarations of nationality, decisions on naturalization, reintegration, loss, revocation and withdrawal of French nationality
- Decree No. 2012-127 of 30 January 2012 approving the Charter of Rights and Duties of the French Citizen
- French Naturalization by DecreeService-Public.fr
- French nationality by marriageService-Public.fr
- Declaration of French nationality of the ascendant of a French nationalService-Public.fr
- Declaration of French nationality of the brother or sister of a French nationalService-Public.fr
- Reintegration into French nationality by decreeService-Public.fr
- French nationality of a child born in France to foreigners parentsService-Public.fr
- French nationality of an adopted childService-Public.fr
- French nationality of a child receivedService-Public.fr
- Certificate of French nationality (CNF)Service-Public.fr
- Charter of Rights and Duties of the French CitizenMinistry of the Interior