Can we do the roadworthiness test abroad?
Verified 28 December 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Who shall I contact
For the approach to registration of a used vehicle over 4 years of age purchased in Europe (EU), you must provide proof of the roadworthiness test. You do not need to do it again in France if it was made in Europe (EU) less than 6 months ago (2 months if counter-visit has been prescribed).
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Directive 2014/45/EU of 3 April 2014 on periodic roadworthiness tests for motor vehicles and their trailers
- Highway Code: Article L323-1Organization of roadworthiness tests
- Highway Code: Articles R323-1 to R323-5Organization of roadworthiness tests
- Highway Code: Articles R323-6 to R323-21Approval of controllers, installations and networks
- Order of 9 February 2009 on the procedures for the registration of vehicles
- Order of 18 June 1991 on roadworthiness tests for vehicles weighing not more than 3.5 tonsAnnex 1 (control points) and Annex 2 (defects requiring a counter-inspection)