Technical inspection of a passenger car
Verified 15 December 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Additional cases ?
You bought a car and you wonder when and where to do the technical inspection and what the price is? Want to know what functions are controlled and how to do if a failure is found? This page shows you the rules to know about technical control.
A particular vehicle (VP) PTAC: titleContent is less than or equal to 3,5 tons subject to technical inspection, whether thermal, hybrid or electric.
Technical control shall cover all passenger vehicles (VP).
1to control during the 6 months before the 4e anniversary of 1re entry into service.
No summons are sent. Control is on your initiative.
For a vehicle put into circulation on 1to July 2018, 1to technical inspection must take place between 1to January 2022 and June 30, 2022.
The next check date will depend on the result of this 1to control.
The technical inspection shall not relieve the vehicle owner of the obligation to maintain serviceability and in satisfactory condition of maintenance.
In any approved centre in France.
You must present the original Certificate of Registration (new name of the carte grise) except in certain situations.
Who shall I contact
The fees are at the expense of the vehicle owner.
The price periodic technical inspection and back-inspection services variables by centre.
They must be displayed at the centre's main entrance in a visible and legible manner.
Prices are by energy type : gasoline, diesel, gas, hybrid, electric.
You can use online service for prices charged by the technical control centres.
The controller shall verify 133 checkpoints concerning the following functions:
- Identification vehicle: vehicle documents, number plate...
- Equipment braking : platelets, disks...
- Direction : steering wheel, housing...
- Visibility : windscreen, mirrors...
- Lights, reflective devices and electrical equipment (especially those of an electric vehicle such as the battery, the charging cable, the traction battery box...)
- Axles, wheels, tyres, suspension
- Chassis and chassis accessories
- Other equipment: seat belts, horn (audible warning)...
- Nuisances : pollution, noise level
At each controlled point, severity level is indicated if a failure is found.
- Minor Failure : no impact on vehicle safety or the environment
- Major Failure : which could compromise the safety of the vehicle, have a negative impact on the environment or endanger other road users
- Critical Failure : posing a direct and immediate threat to road safety or having a serious impact on the environment
In case of major or critical failure, a new control called counter-visit, is to be done after making the necessary repairs.
The checkpoints during a counter visit depend on the major and critical failures observed during the previous check.
The date of the next check depends on the deficiencies found during the technical inspection.
You do not have to cross-visit the authorised centre where the deficiencies were found.
The counter-visit can be in any approved centre in France.
It is given to you minutes after each technical check.
The minutes shall mention in particular the following:
- Nature of control (periodic technical inspection, cross-check)
- Date control
- Result control (favourable, unfavourable for major failure, unfavourable for critical failure)
- Limit validity control
- Nature next check (periodic inspection, cross-check)
- Centre Identification control and
- Identification vehicle
- Mileage statement
- Unfavourable technical control information
- Failures and Severity Levels (critical, major, minor, mileage recorded in technical inspection since 20 May 2018, comments)
Controller puts on carte grise stamp indicating result control and deadline :
- Letter A : result favourable
- Letter S : unfavourable result for major failures
- Letter R : unfavourable result for critical failures
The controller shall place a thumbnail that expiry date of the check carried out.
It is no longer possible to include the entry in the minutes of the technical inspection non-rolling vehicle.
the modification of the vehicle registration shall not affect the validity of the technical inspection. For example, following registration of a used vehicle.
A fine of up to €750.
As a rule, this is a flat-rate fine of €135.
In case of control by the police or gendarmerie, detention order can be taken.
In this case, the driver's registration certificate (new name of the carte grise) shall be retained.
A valid traffic ticket 7 days shall be handed over to him to perform the technical inspection.
To recover his carte grise, the driver must present to the police station or the gendarmerie the minutes of the technical inspection attesting his satisfactory result.
In case of dispute over the outcome of the technical inspection, remedies are displayed in centre who issued the report.
- Route Code: Article L323-1Obligation to perform technical inspection
- Route Code: items R323-1 to R323-5Technical inspection rules
- Route Code: items R323-6 to R323-21Price obligations of the Technical Control Centre (Article R323-13-1)
- Route Code: R323-22Technical check recurrence
- Order of 27 March 1987 relating to the advertising of prices for the services of maintenance or repair, of technical inspection, of troubleshooting or of towing and of garage of vehicles
- Decision of 18 June 1991 concerning the technical inspection of vehicles weighing not more than 3,5 tons
- Order of 29 July 2020 concerning the advertising of prices of technical inspection services for certain categories of light-duty vehicles
- Ministerial Response of 11 August 2020 on the obligation to carry out technical checks on vehicles travelling on public roads
- Ministerial Response of 15 December 2020 on the technical inspection of a vehicle adapted for the transport of persons in wheelchairs (mention of transport disability on the carte grise)
- Know prices charged by technical control centres
- Vehicle technical inspection: mandatory or waiver?
- Can you sell a used car without a roadworthiness test?
- Technical inspection of a collector vehicle: what are the rules?
- Can I do the technical inspection without the carte grise of the vehicle?
- Can we do the technical inspection at the foreigner?
- What should I do if I lose the technical inspection report?
- Traffic offencesService-Public.fr
- carte grise (Certificate of Registration)Service-Public.fr
- Pollution ControlService-Public.fr
- Control points for the technical inspection of a light vehicleLegifrance