Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

How do I do the technical inspection without the carte grise of the vehicle?

Verified 25 November 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

In principle, the vehicle registration certificate (carte grise) is mandatory to pass the technical check.

In the absence of the carte grise, you must any official document enabling vehicle identification.

The following documents are accepted ::

  • Provisional Certificate of Registration (ICC) valid.
  • Vehicle Identification Card issued online on the website of theTWO: titleContent
  • Temporary circulation card valid for 7 days issued by the police in case vehicle immobiliser
  • Certificate issued by the manufacturer or his representative in the case of a vehicle over 30 years of age
  • Certificate issued by the French Federation of Vintage Vehicles (FFVE) for a vehicle over 30 years of age
  • Foreigner Certificate of Registration
  • Official document proving the origin of ownership of the vehicle and referred to by the administrative authorities of the country of origin
  • Official document certifying that the Certificate of Registration has been withdrawn
  • Special Certificate French Forces and Civilian Elements stationed in Germany (FFECSA) with the words "Final cancellation of the FFECSA special series" and the date of validity of the certificate
  • Certificate of deposit of the file from Receipt to Title Isolated, less than one year old, issued by the department responsible for vehicle type-approvals, indicating the reason for receipt
  • Certificate of Registration blocked by the former owner of the vehicle
  • Copy of Certificate of Registration issued by a professional seller
  • Copy of Certificate of Registration issued by a Commissioner of Justice (former judicial officer and judicial auctioneer)
  • Copy of Certificate of Registration for a Vehicle Rental business


the report submitted at the end of the technical inspection shall indicate the document submitted in place of the certificate of registration.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region