Technical inspection of a motorhome (maximum 3,5 t)
Verified 15 December 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Additional cases ?
You have bought a camper (VASP style on the carte grise) and you wonder when and where to do the technical inspection and what the price is? Want to know what functions are controlled and how to do if a failure is found? This page shows you the rules to know about technical control.
The technical control concerns all camper vans (VASP type on the carte grise) including PTAC is less than or equal to 3,5 tons.
If PTAC: titleContent is greater than 3,5 tons, motorhome technical control must be made in a centre for heavy goods vehicles.
1to control during the 6 months before the 4e anniversary of 1re entry into service
No summons are sent. Control is on your initiative.
For a vehicle put into circulation on 1to July 2018, 1to technical inspection must take place between 1to January 2022 and June 30, 2022.
The next check date will result of this 1to control.
Even if the technical inspection is favourable, the owner must, in all circumstances, maintain the vehicle in good working order and in satisfactory condition of maintenance.
In any approved centre in France.
You must present the Certificate of Registration (new name of the carte grise) except in certain situations.
Who shall I contact
The fees are at the expense of the vehicle owner.
The price periodic technical inspection and back-inspection services variables according to the centres.
They must be displayed at the main entrance of the centre, in a visible and legible manner.
Prices are by energy type : gasoline, diesel, gas, hybrid, electric.
You can use online service for prices charged by the technical control centres:
The controller shall verify 133 checkpoints concerning the following functions:
- Identification vehicle: vehicle documents, number plate...
- Equipment braking : platelets, disks...
- Direction : steering wheel, housing...
- Visibility : windscreen, mirrors...
- Lights, reflective devices and electrical equipment
- Axles, wheels, tyres, suspension
- Chassis and chassis accessories
- Other equipment: seat belts, horn (audible warning)...
- Nuisances : pollution, noise level
At each controlled point, failure level box.
- Minor Failure : no significant impact on vehicle safety or the environment
- Major Failure : a failure that could compromise the safety of the vehicle and adversely affect the environment or endanger other road users
- Critical Failure : direct and immediate danger to road safety or serious environmental impact
In case of major or critical failure, a new control called counter-visit, is to be done after making the necessary repairs.
The controlled points on a cross-visit depend on failures major and critical found during the previous check.
You do not have to cross-visit the authorised centre where the deficiencies were found.
The counter visit can be carried out in any approved centre in France.
It is given to you minutes after each technical check.
The minutes shall mention in particular the following:
- Nature of control (periodic technical inspection, cross-check)
- Date control
- Result control (favourable, unfavourable for major failure, unfavourable for critical failure)
- Limit validity control
- Nature next check (periodic inspection, cross-check)
- Centre Identification control and
- Identification vehicle
- Mileage statement
- Unfavourable technical control information
- Failures and Severity Levels (critical, major, minor, mileage recorded in technical inspection since 20 May 2018, comments)
Controller puts on carte grise stamp indicating result control and deadline :
- Letter A : result favourable
- Letter S : unfavourable result for major failures
- Letter R : unfavourable result for critical failures
The controller shall place a thumbnail that expiry date of the check carried out.
It is no longer possible to include the entry in the minutes of the technical inspection non-rolling vehicle.
Failure to comply with the requirements of the technical inspection shall be punishable by a fine of up to €750.
As a rule, this is a flat-rate fine of €135.
In case of control by the police or gendarmerie, the vehicle can be locked and you must then give them the certificate of registration (carte grise).
One valid circulation card 7 days is handed over to you to perform the technical inspection.
To retrieve the registration certificate (carte grise), you must submit to the police station or the gendarmerie the minutes of the technical inspection confirming its satisfactory result.
In case of dispute over the outcome of the technical inspection, remedies are displayed in centre who issued the report.
- Route Code: Article L323-1Obligation to perform technical inspection
- Route Code: items R323-1 to R323-5Technical inspection rules
- Route Code: items R323-6 to R323-21Definition of Light and Heavy Vehicles (R323-6) , Centre Price Obligations (R323-13-1)
- Route Code: R323-22Technical check recurrence
- Order of 27 March 1987 relating to the advertising of prices for the services of maintenance or repair, of technical inspection, of troubleshooting or of towing and of garage of vehicles
- Decision of 18 June 1991 concerning the technical inspection of vehicles weighing not more than 3,5 tons
- Decision of 27 July 2004 on the technical inspection of heavy vehicles
- Order of 29 July 2020 concerning the advertising of prices of technical inspection services for certain categories of light-duty vehicles
- Know prices charged by technical control centres
- Vehicle technical inspection: mandatory or waiver?
- Can you sell a used car without a roadworthiness test?
- Technical inspection of a collector vehicle: what are the rules?
- Can I do the technical inspection without the carte grise of the vehicle?
- Can we do the technical inspection at the foreigner?
- What should I do if I lose the technical inspection report?
- Traffic offencesService-Public.fr
- carte grise (Certificate of Registration)Service-Public.fr
- Control points for the technical inspection of a light vehicleLegifrance