Technical inspection of a motorhome (maximum 3,5 tons)
Verified 15 December 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Carte grise You have bought a camper van (type VASP on the following) and you wonder when and where to do the technical check and what is the price? You want to know what functions are being monitored and how to do it if a failure is detected? This page tells you what you need to know about roadworthiness testing.
Carte grise The roadworthiness test concerns all motorhomes (type VASP on the PTAC is not more than 3,5 tons.
If the PTAC: titleContent is more than 3,5 tons, on technical inspection of the motorhome must be done in a center for heavy goods vehicles.
The 1er check is to be made within 6 months before 4e anniversary of the 1re putting into service of the vehicle
No summons are sent. Control is at your initiative.
For a vehicle put into circulation on 1er october 2019, 1er roadworthiness test to take place between 1er April 2023 and September 30, 2023.
The date of the next check will depend on result of this 1er control.
Even if the roadworthiness test is favorable, the owner must, in all circumstances, maintain the vehicle in good working order and in satisfactory condition for maintenance.
In any approved center in France.
Carte grise You must present the Certificate of Registration (new name of the except in certain situations.
Who shall I contact
Fees are at the expense of the owner of the vehicle.
The price periodic technical inspection and counter-inspection services are variables according to the centers.
They must be displayed at the main entrance to the center, in a visible and legible manner.
The prices are classified by type of energy : petrol, diesel, gas, hybrid, electric.
You can use a online service for prices charged by technical inspection centers:
The controller should check 133 checkpoints concerning the following functions:
- Identification of the vehicle: vehicle documents, registration plate...
- Equipment for braking : platelets, disks...
- Direction : steering wheel, housing...
- Visibility : windshield, mirrors...
- Lights, reflective devices and electrical equipment
- Axles, wheels, tires, suspension
- Chassis and chassis accessories
- Other equipment: safety belts, horn (audible warning device)...
- Nuisance : pollution, noise level
At each controlled point, a failure level is indicated.
- Minor failure : no significant impact on the safety of the vehicle or the environment
- Major Failure : failure which could jeopardize the safety of the vehicle and have a negative impact on the environment or endanger other road users
- Critical Failure : direct and immediate danger to road safety or serious environmental impact
In case of major or critical failure, a new control, called counter-visitis to be done after making the necessary repairs.
The controlled points during a counter-visit depend on failures major and critical established at the time of the previous check.
You are not required to make a counter-visit to the approved center where the deficiencies were found.
Countervisit can be done in any accredited center in France.
You are given a report after each roadworthiness test.
The minutes shall include the following points:
- Nature of the control (periodic technical inspection, counter-inspection)
- Date of control
- Outcome control (favorable, unfavorable for major failure, unfavorable for critical failure)
- Limit of validity of control
- Nature of the next check (periodic inspection, counter-inspection)
- Identification of the center control and controller
- Identification of the vehicle
- Mileage record
- Information on unfavorable roadworthiness tests
- Failures and Severity Levels (critical, major, minor, mileage recorded in roadworthiness since May 20, 2018, comments)
- Measurements taken
Carte grise The controller puts on the stamp indicating the result control and its deadline :
- Letter A : Result favorable
- Letter S : Unfavorable result for major failures
- Letter R : Unfavorable result for critical failures
The controller shall place on the vehicle a thumbnail which indicates the expiry date of the check carried out.
It shall no longer be possible to include the following in the report of the roadworthiness test non-rolling vehicle.
Failure to comply with roadworthiness requirements shall be punished by a fine of up to €750.
As a general rule, it is a flat-rate fine of €135.
In case of control by the police (police or gendarmerie), the vehicle may be immobilized carte grise and you must then give them the certificate of registration (cfr).
One circulation card valid for 7 days is given to you to allow you to do the technical inspection.
Carte grise To retrieve the Certificate of Registration (C of R), you must submit to the police station or gendarmerie the report of the roadworthiness test attesting to its satisfactory result.
In the event of a dispute as to the result of the roadworthiness test, the means of appeal are displayed in the center who issued the report.
- Highway Code: Article L323-1Obligation to carry out a roadworthiness test
- Highway Code: Articles R323-1 to R323-5Technical inspection rules
- Highway Code: Articles R323-6 to R323-21Definition of light and heavy vehicles (Article R323-6) , obligations of the Center in relation to pricing (Article R323-13-1)
- Highway Code: Article R323-22Frequency of roadworthiness tests
- Order of 27 March 1987 on the advertising of prices for maintenance or repair services, roadworthiness tests, breakdown and towing services and for the parking of vehicles
- Order of 18 June 1991 on roadworthiness tests for vehicles weighing not more than 3.5 tons
- Order of 27 July 2004 on roadworthiness tests for heavy vehicles
- Order of 29 July 2020 on the advertising of the prices of roadworthiness tests for certain categories of light vehicles
- Technical inspection of the vehicle: compulsory or dispensed with?
- Can you sell a used car without a roadworthiness test?
- Technical inspection of a collector's vehicle: what are the rules?
- Carte grise How to do the roadworthiness test without the vehicle?
- Can we do the roadworthiness test abroad?
- What should I do if I lose my roadworthiness test report?
- Traffic offensesService-Public.fr
- Carte grise (Certificate of Registration)Service-Public.fr
- Motorhome with a PTAC of more than 3,5 tons
- Technical inspection of a commercial vehicle (van)Service-Public.fr
- Technical inspection of a passenger carService-Public.fr
- Checkpoints for the roadworthiness test of a light vehicleLegifrance