Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

How can a sick foreigner obtain a residence permit?

Verified 03 August 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

You can obtain a temporary residence card private and family life for care if you all the following conditions:

  • You are a foreigner European)
  • You usually reside in France
  • Your condition requires medical care without which your health would become critical
  • You cannot access the appropriate treatment in your home country
  • You are not a threat to public order


you can request this title even if you are irregular situation.


General case
Who shall I contact

Documents to be submitted

You must submit the following documents:

  • Full copy of birth certificate (unless you already have a residence card) with the latest information
  • Passport (pages on marital status, validity dates, entry stamps and visas). Otherwise, other supporting documents (for example: Consular certificate, identity card, consular card).
  • 3 photos. If the request is made online: enter the code of the e-photo (provided by the photographer or the approved cabin on the photo board).
  • Declaration on the honour of non-polygamy in France if you are married and are a national of a country that allows it
  • Supporting documents to assess the duration of your habitual residence in France for at least 1 year:
    • Visa
    • Application for residence permit
    • Receipt of asylum application
    • Documents issued by a public administration (prefecture, social service, school)
    • Documents from a private institution (bank statements showing transactions)
    • Undisputable personal writing (letters, family certificates)

Application Registration

If you meet the conditions for applying for a residence card, the prefecture registers your application.

It then gives you a folder with the following:

  • Medical certificate to be completed by your regular physician (or a hospital physician)
  • Notice explaining the procedure
  • Envelope medical secret with the address of the medical service of theOfii: titleContent to send your full folder


You must send your folder toOfii: titleContent.

Who shall I contact

How soon?

General case

You must forward toOfii: titleContent the file submitted by the prefecture within1 month from the date of registration of your application.

Asylum seeker

If you are an asylum-seeker, you must sendOfii: titleContent the file submitted by the prefecture within 3 months from the date of registration of your asylum application.


no medical information or medical certificate should be communicated or given to the prefecture.

How do I send the file?

You must send the documents in the envelope medical secret with the address of the medical service of theOfii: titleContent. This envelope was given to you by the prefecture.

For evidentiary reasons, it is best to send the recommended file with acknowledgement.

Report prepared by Ofii physician

The doctorOfii: titleContent may, with your consent, request additional medical information from the doctor who issued the medical certificate or from any other health professional.

These additional information must reach the medical practitionerOfii: titleContent within 15 days of the date of application.

The doctorOfii: titleContent can also call you for a medical examination (free) if he deems it necessary and ask you for further examinations (you have nothing to pay). You will need to show proof of identity.

The results of these examinations must be communicated to the doctor of theOfii: titleContent within 15 days of the date of application.


if you do not respond to requests from the doctor of theOfii: titleContent, you won't be able to residence permit.

He then prepares a report and forwards it to a college of physicians in theOfii: titleContent.

Delivery of a residence permit application receipt

Once the medical report has been forwarded to this college of physicians, the prefecture will give you a n residence permit.

Medical opinion of the Ofii College of Physicians

The College of Physicians must issue a medical opinion.

It may:

  • Ask the physician who completed the medical certificate or the physician who wrote the report or any health professional to provide any additional information within 15 days
  • Hear
  • Examine yourself or ask for additional examinations.

Additional information and review results must be submitted within 15 days of the request.

The College of Physicians prepares a medical opinion and sends it to the prefecture.

The opinion of the College of Physicians of theOfii: titleContent is simple notice. He doesn't bind the prefect.

The Prefect shall exercise his discretion to decide whether to grant or refuse the residence permit "private and family life" for care.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Your request is accepted

If the prefect grants you the residence card, he informs you.


You must pay:

  • If you have entered France without a long-stay visa: the right of visa to regularise an amount of €200of €50 non-refundable
  • The stamp duty €25

Your request is denied

The decision to refuse may be either in writing or as a result of the lack of a response from the administration after 4 months.

You can then appeal to administrative judge.