Buying a vehicle abroad: how to get a tax receipt?

Verified 12 November 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

The tax receipt (or tax certificate) indicates that the vehicle is in legal status with regard to value added tax (VAT).

Carte grise It allows you to get a the European Union other than France.

General case

Depending on your department of residence, you have to apply to the National Department of Quits or the company Tax Department (SIE).


contact the service beforehand, because some people are experimenting with an online approach and no longer receive the public. Also ask about the authorized payment methods.

Who shall I contact

You must submit the following documents in originals and photocopies :

  • Form 1993-PART-D-SD
  • Purchase invoice (if you bought the car from a garage or company) or certificate of assignment (if you purchased the vehicle from a private individual)
  • Carte grise obtained in the foreigner country
  • ID on behalf of the person who purchased the vehicle
  • Proof of residence in France

One certified translation carte grise may be requested if the invoice or the

If you purchased a new vehicle, please note that tax services may require you to submit a certificate of compliance as well. The manufacturer may issue it in the form of a digital document.

Trailer, semi-trailer, agricultural and forestry vehicle

You don't need the exit.