Health in middle school and high school

Verified 01 January 2024 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

In each school, the health and social work staff monitor the health of the pupils. In addition, prevention and health education activities are being implemented as part of a health education pathway. Finally, the schooling of sick pupils can be arranged.

Mandatory vaccinations

To be enrolled in a school, your child should be vaccinated against certain diseases.

Vaccinations are regularly checked during school by the health staff of the institution. You should update your child’s vaccines by following the schedule of vaccinations.

Vaccinations are not carried out in the school, you must contact a health professional.


in vocational education, additional vaccinations may be required, in particular against hepatitis B.

Recommended vaccinations

A national vaccination campaign against human papillomavirus (HPV) infections is being organized in schools.

Medical visit to the college

A doctor's examination is done by a nurse during the 12the year of the child. At this time, the nurse makes an assessment of the child's physical and psychological health.

These visits are free for families. The presence of a parent is possible.

Please note

if your child is overweight, the nurse can refer you to a health center or nursing home for specific follow-up. This tracking, called health pathwayincludes physical activity, dietary and psychological follow-up sessions. To follow this path, your child must be 12 years old or younger.

With your consent, the information about your child's health collected during these examinations is recorded in your child's shared medical record.


A school has an infirmary to accommodate the sick student during his time at the college or high school.

There is a nurse on duty. He can be helped by a school doctor.

The nurse makes a diagnosis and implements the care so that the student can return to school in the best conditions.

In an emergency, the institution may ask the fire department to take the student and possibly send him to a hospital. The family must then be notified.

A national protocol specifies the organization of care.

Please note

the infirmary is not necessarily open all the time in school.

If a student is undergoing medical treatment, the family should inform the nurse and provide the prescribed medication.

The nurse does not issue a prescription. On the other hand, it can administer the emergency contraception to a student.

Health, Citizenship and Environment Education Committee (CESCE)

One Health, Citizenship and Environment Education Committee (CESCE) exists in each establishment.

In particular, it is responsible for defining a program in the following areas:

  • Health education
  • Sexuality education
  • Prevention of risky behavior

The CESCE is chaired by the school head. It may be composed of the following members:

  • Representatives of teaching staff, parents of pupils and pupils appointed by the head of school on a proposal from the members of the board of directors
  • Educational, social and health personnel of the institution (e.g. school nurse)
  • Representatives of the municipality and the local authority (department or region)
  • Representatives of institutional partners (police, gendarmerie, departmental fire and rescue service - SDIS - and associations) and representatives of the national education citizen reserve.

Nutrition education, prevention of overweight and obesity

In addition to the nutritional education received by children during their primary education, taste-forming activities are being implemented. They are the subject of animation or various activities.

Under the National Nutrition Health Program (NNSP), 5-year-old studentsè receive a nutrition guide.

Vending machines selling drinks and food products for a fee are prohibited inside the establishments.

Information on the harms of tobacco, alcohol and drugs

Information on the harms of tobacco, alcohol and drugs is part of the health educational pathway that each school must implement.

The actions are carried out by teachers, health and social workers and external actors.


the ban on smoking in the school applies to all, personal or pupils.

Sexuality education

Sexuality education aims to promote responsible behavior of pupils and inform them about certain risks (prevention of sexually transmitted infections, prevention of sexual violence, etc.).

At least 3 annual sexuality education sessions are held in middle and high schools. They complement the different lessons being taught. These sessions are organized by a team of trained and volunteer staff (teachers, senior education counselors, nurses, etc.). Qualified external partners are usually sought to facilitate the sessions.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Short-term illness: Absence of the child

When your child is absent due to illness, you must first report it as soon as possible to their school. You will then have to justify this absence in writing.

In case of contagious disease, you must report it to the head of the establishment. You will also need to provide a medical certificate to school administration as soon as your child returns to class.

Long-term illness: Home or hospital education

If your child’s illness does not allow for full-time accommodation in the school, a home, hospital or school support system (Apadhe) may be put in place.

To do so, you or the head teacher, through the teacher coordinator of Apadhe, must make the request to theDasen: titleContent. The child's medical certificate must be submitted.

Who shall I contact

The departmental technical medical adviser decides whether the child's state of health requires the installation of this device.

In this case, the pupil will be cared for at home by volunteer teachers, if possible from his school.

If the pupil is hospitalized for a long time, he may benefit from free education provided by specialized teachers or by approved associations.

If your child cannot take advantage of these devices, they may follow a home education. You can also register for free at the Center national d'enseignement à distance (Cned) in a regulated classroom, after receiving a favorable opinion from the Dasen: titleContent.

Other illness: individualized care (IAP)

If your child needs special care, especially in case of chronic illness, you can ask the school to set up a individualized reception project (IAP).

Example :

If your child has a food allergy, you can use the IAP to set up a packed lunch system.

If your child's illness requires medication (asthma, diabetes), it should be available at the infirmary and in the child's emergency kit.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region