Should a caravan or trailer be registered?
Verified 03 December 2019 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
It depends on the total vehicle weight (PTAC), i.e. the maximum permissible weight: weight of the vehicle and of what it carries (persons, goods, etc.).
PTAC greater than 500 kg
If your trailer has a PTAC of more than 500 kg, you must have its gray card set up to allow it to circulate.
The caravan or trailer must then carry a mineral plate using the registration number of his gray card.
The regional identifier may be different from that of the towing vehicle.
In case of control by law enforcement, you must present:
- the gray card of the 2 vehicles,
- the certificate of insurance of the 2 vehicles,
- minutes of proceedings technical inspection of the vehicle which is towing the trailer if it is one of those not exempt from technical control..
The cost of a greycard for a caravan or trailer is 1.5 times the tax horse amount in effect in your department.
You must also add the administration fee and the cost of transporting the Certificate of Registration to your home.
You can estimate the cost of your gray card:
PTAC less than or equal to 500 kg
The caravan or trailer does not need a clean gray card. It will, however, have mineral plate, identical to that of the towing vehicle.
Trailer of less than 500 kg manufactured in house
The trailer does not need a clean gray card. It will, however, have registration plate, identical to that of the towing vehicle.
A home-made trailer of less than 500 kg must be approved for use. For the approval, you must contact the Dreal you depend on:
Who shall I contact
Attention: if you live in departments 75, 77, 78, 91, 92, 93, 94 and 95, you must apply to the DRIEE Île-de-France regional vehicle reception platform.
- Route code: Articles R322-1 to R322-14Issuance of Certificate of Registration
- Order of 9 February 2009 on the procedure for the registration of vehicles
- Calculate the cost of the greycard