Disability student

Verified 14 March 2023 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

You are student in disability status and you wonder about the progress of your schooling in thehigher education ? Reception in the establishment, transport, financial aid... Here is the useful information on the subject.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

In high school

If you need to take a course in high school, BTS or preparatory class for the big schools, you continue to benefit, as in the senior year, from the personalized schooling project (PPS).

You are accompanied all year round by a reference teacher. He is responsible for putting in place the necessary means to allow you to study under the same conditions as your comrades.

At university

At each university, a reception service provides information on the facilities set up for students with disabilities. For example, the equipment available and the steps to be taken.

Devices can have different names: each university is autonomous.

Provision may be made for administrative reception (fitting-out for greater accessibility of the premises or teaching aids).

Please note

Technical aids (tutoring, support, note-takers) may also be provided.

Inquire directly with the referent disability of your establishment.

If you are attending a higher education institution, your public transport costs may be covered (partially or fully).

To check if this support can be granted, contact your prefecture:

Who shall I contact

If you can't take public transport because of your disability, your transport costs to the higher education institution are covered.

You must make the request to the MDPH: titleContent before the end of the school year for the next school year.

The regional centers of academic and school works (Crous) have set up referrals to help you access a specially adapted accommodation. Inquire directly with your Attachment Course:

Who shall I contact

University restaurants must be accessible to all.


depending on your condition, it is also possible to get a suitable menu in some university restaurants.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

You're under 20

You are dependent on your parents
You're no longer dependent on your parents

If you are at least 16 years old and you are no longer dependent on your parents for the benefit of family benefits, you can take advantage of Disabled Adult Allowance (DAA).

You can also take advantage of the Disability Compensation Benefit (DCP).

These 2 aids may be cumulated.

You're 20 years old or older

You can benefit from Disabled Adult Allowance (DAA).

You can also take advantage of the Disability Compensation Benefit (DCP).

CES 2 aid may be cumulated.


the higher education grant on social criteria provides no age limits for students with disabilities. In addition, disability-specific aid may be combined with the grant.

Internship search

If you have to do an internship (mandatory or recommended) during your studies, you can be accompanied in your steps by your institution. For example, in some universities, a Handiversity cell helps you in your internship search.

Ask your institution's secretariat for the service responsible for the support.

Course of the course

During your internship, you can benefit from certain adjustments: adaptation of the work station, human aids, communication assistance. For that, you have to be recognized as a disabled worker (RQTH).


if you perceive the PCH (disability compensation benefit) or the AEEH (education allowance for disabled children), you automatically benefit from the RQTH during your internship.

Alternance Search

If you are doing training in alternation during your studies, you can be accompanied in your steps by your institution.

The referent disability should make sure you don’t encounter difficulties while training, integrating into the company, or even traveling. One of the things they can do is help you find a company.

Course of the alternation

During your alternation, you can to benefit from various aids and adjustments.

At each university, the health monitoring of students is provided by the University Student Health Service (SSE).

This service provides the following tasks:

  • Free Prevention Checkups
  • Miscellaneous services (e.g. vaccination, testing or care)

You are summoned at least once during your education in higher education for a preventive medical examination. A follow-up certificate is given at the end of the examination.

The ESS may issue certificates of study or examination facilities students with disabilities.

Of psychological aids can also be brought to you.

If you have been recognized as needing assistance by the Committee on the Rights and Autonomy of Persons with Disabilities (CDAPH), you are accompanied by an education assistant. At the university, the role of the education assistant is to ensure your welcome and integration.

This assistance may concern everyday acts, but also writing or translation.

If you can't go to university because of your disability or illness, you can attend a distance learning.

You can contact the National Center for Distance Education (Cned) or the Inter-University Federation for Distance Education (Fied). These organizations offer courses in higher education, preparation for colleges and competitions in the public service.

Who shall I contact

You can also benefit from distance learning when the service is provided by the university.

Please note

You can take your training remotely in a connected campus. This place of study allows you to benefit from material and pedagogical support to prepare your training.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region