Occupational medicine: what is the information and prevention visit (PVI)?
Verified 29 September 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Postponement of medical examinations during the health emergency
Published on 25 March 2022
The occupational physician may postpone certain medical examinations due to expire on or before 31 July 2022. Postponed visits can be made until July 31, 2023 at the latest.
That's what the law no. 2022-46 of 22 january 2022 and the decree no. 2022-418 of march 24, 2022.
All employees benefit from the information and prevention visit (Vip). Vip has replaced the hiring medical.
Vip is performed within a maximum of 3 months from hiring (or before hiring for minors and night workers).
Vip may be done by an occupational physician or by an occupational health care practitioner. The purpose of the interview is to ask the employee about his or her state of health. The visit is renewed within a maximum of 5 years.
The Vip: titleContent is a medical examination done by a occupational health professional (e.g. an occupational physician worker, an occupational health intern, a nurse) if the employee does not pose any particular risks.
At the end of the vip, the health professional may, if he considers it necessary, refer the worker to the occupational doctor.
If the employee is recognized handicapped worker or holder of a invalidity pension or night worker, Vip is done by occupational doctor in a occupational health and prevention service.
Required Steps during the visit:
- Employee Health Inquiry
- Workstation Risk Information
- Raising awareness of prevention measures
- Informing the employee of his right to benefit, at any time, a visit at his request with the occupational physician
An occupational health record is open.
At the end of each Vip: titleContent, the occupational doctor or the health-care professional shall issue a certificate of follow-up at work to the employee and to the employer.
The occupational physician is not entitled to transmit to the employer medical information concerning the employee.
under certain conditions, a newly recruited employee may be exempt from Vip.
Vip covers all employees working in private companies, Epic: titleContent and Epa: titleContent employing staff under private law.
the employee of the individual employer must benefit Vip.
Vip is done within a maximum of 3 months from the actual taking of the workstation.
For a night worker or an employee under 18, the visit shall be carried out prior to assignment.
The occupational physician may request further specialized examinations. They are the responsibility of the employer.
for apprentices the visit must take place in the following 2 months hiring.
Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement
Vip performed by an occupational health professional
The health professional issues a follow-up certificate to the employee and the employer. If he considers it necessary, the health professional may refer the employee to the occupational doctor.
Vip performed by the occupational physician
The occupational physician shall issue to the employee and to the employer a suitability certificate or unfit hiring.
Medical examinations shall be carried out on working time and the remuneration shall be maintained.
Where such examinations cannot be carried out during working hours, they shall be paid as actual working time.
Time and transport costs required by these visits are paid by the employer.
The employee makes another visit within a maximum of 5 years from 1re visit.
This period shall be fixed by the occupational doctor.
If the employee is recognized as a disabled worker or as having an invalidity pension or as a night worker, the maximum time limit is 3 years.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
For more informationTelephone administrative information - Allo Public Service
The informants who answer you belong to the ministry responsible for labor.
Cost: free service
Attention: the service does not respond questions relating to unemployment compensation and representations to Pôle emploi, civil servants or public service contractors, the amount or payment of social, wage or employer contributions.
The service is available at the following times:
- Monday: 8.30am to 5.30pm
- Tuesday: 8:30 to 12:15
- Wednesday: 8:30 to 12:15
- Thursday: 8.30am to 5.30pm
- Friday: 1 p.m. to 4:15 p.m
For a list of the department's health servicesDepartmental Directorate for Employment, Labor and Solidarity (DDETS or DDETS-PP, ex-Direct)
- Labor Code: Articles R4624-10 to R4624-15Information and prevention visit
- Labor Code: Article R4624-16Periodicity of individual monitoring of the health status of workers
- Occupational medicine: what is enhanced individual follow-up?
- How to be recognized as a disabled worker (RQTH)?
- Can an employee be exempted from the employment medical check-up?
- Is a seasonal worker followed by occupational medicine?
- Is a temporary worker followed by occupational medicine?
- Does a European national employed in France have the same rights as a French employee?
- Professional medical follow-up of a public officialService-Public.fr
- Occupational medicineService-Public.fr
- Occupational Health and Safety in the Public ServiceService-Public.fr
- Night work of private sector employeeService-Public.fr
- Prevention Business Account (C2P)Service-Public.fr
- Social Security disability pensionService-Public.fr