Personal Training Account (PTA) of a Private Sector Employee

Verified 01 January 2024 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

Employee financial participation in the CPF

Published on 1 January 2024

The 2023 budget provides that the employee shall contribute to the cost of the training, EEV or a skills assessment carried out under the personal training account (PTA).

However, the employee's financial contribution will not be payable when the employer pays for part of this cost.

A decree is foreseen for the implementation of this measure.

In the meantime, the information on this page is up to date.

Do you want to take training to develop professionally? Know that everyone has a personal training account (PTA) from the moment they enter the labor market until their retirement. This account replaced the individual right to training (Dif). CPF can be used throughout your working life (including in periods of unemployment) to follow a qualifying or certifying training. We present you with the information you need to know.

This page is for the Personal Training Account (PTA) for the salaried worker. Public servants (incumbents and contractors) also have a right to the CPF, but under other conditions.

Video: What you need to know about this

Vidéo - CPF (Personal Training Account): your questions, our answers
Credits : Public Service (DILA)

Your questions / Our answers


Personal Training Account (PTA)

Know your rights

What's CPF?

It's an account with a sum of money. This money allows you to take training throughout your life.

How do I know the amount of my CPF?

You have to go to

To create an account, your social security number is enough.

You can consult your training rights there. They are presented in the form of a sum in euros.

How is my CPF powered?

As long as you work at least half-time, your CPF is powered by €500 per year. With a total limit of 5000 €.

If you are less than half-time, this amount is proportional to your working time.

For example, if you work 1/5th of the time, i.e. 7 hours a week, your account is credited with 100 € per year.

How do I get my CPF money back?

This money can only be used for training.

It is up to you to take the initiative to use it, following the procedure on the My Account Training site.

Does my CPF allow me to take any training?

No, no, no. The training has to meet certain objectives.

For example, this may include:

- Certifying training, i.e. leading to a recognized professional certification

- Training to validate the experience gained

- A skills assessment

- Preparation for certain driving licenses

- Training dedicated to the creation or recovery of companies

The training courses available are on the My Training Account website.

Should I notify my employer of my request for training?

No, if the training takes place outside of working time.

But if it is scheduled during working time, you have to ask your employer for an absence authorization. This request must be made at least 60 days before the start of the training, or 120 days if the training lasts more than 6 months.

Can my employer refuse my request for training?

You do not need his approval for training outside working hours (e.g. evening or RTT).

But if the requested training takes place during working time, then your employer may refuse your request.

Can I do training more expensive than the amount available on my CPF?

Yeah. Yeah.

If the training you want costs more than the amount available on your CPF, you can look for a financial supplement.

Ask your employer or organizations such as the Agency or the Regional Council.

Can I use my CPF if I am unemployed?

Yeah. Yeah.

Your CPF follows you throughout your life. You retain your rights, even if you change employers or lose your job.

Can I give the amount of money from my CPF to a colleague or relative?

No, no, no.

This money cannot be donated to a third party.

The personal training account (PTA) shall record the following information:

  • Acquired rights throughout your working life and until your retirement
  • Training courses that you can benefit from personally.

Go to My Training Account in the account creation section.

My Training Account

You must have your Social Security number. You will find it on your Vitale card.

If you are domiciled abroad, you can register on the My Training Account site.

To do this, you must contact the IT support of this site. It can open access to the platform and all other services (e.g. consultation of training offers).

The Personal Training Account (PTA) is available on the My Training Account online service.

My Training Account

You can also download the My Training Account app (via AppleStore or PlayStore) to your mobile phone.


If you have forgot your password or if you no longer have access to your email, on My Training Account site tells you what to do. 

This includes training aimed at:

  • Acquisition of a qualification (diploma, professional title, professional certification, etc.)
  • Acquiring the knowledge and skills base
  • Support for the validation of experience (VAE)
  • Skills assessment
  • Creation or resumption of a company (training courses must focus on skills acquisition) exclusively linked to the management of the company; they must therefore not be specific to the exercise of a trade in a particular sector of activity)
  • Acquisition of skills necessary to carry out the missions of volunteers in civic service
  • Financing of the land-based motor driving license.

To find a course that suits you, you need to log into your training account:

Find the right training for you

Since 1er january 2024, preparation for the theoretical and practical tests of all categories driving license of a land motor vehicle is eligible for the CPF.

It is possible to finance the license:

  • B (preparations for the road code theoretical test and the driving license practical test)
  • C - Heavy goods vehicle
  • D - Public transit

It also includes:

  • Light or powerful motorcycles (categories A1, A2 and A)
  • Carts without a license (license B1)
  • Examinations authorizing holders of a B license to tow heavier trailers (B96 and BE licenses).

To register for training on My Training Account, you must have a France Connect + account, via theLa Poste digital identity, even if you already have a France Connect account.

If you cannot obtain La Poste's digital identity (for example, if you are a minor or if you do not have a smartphone or if you are not comfortable with the Internet), a My Training Account sign-in alternative via France connect + has been set up.

You start to acquire rights when you start working.

If you have a job in year N, your rights are credited between January 30 and June 15 of year N+1.

Example :

If you worked in 2023, the training rights appear on your account on June 15, 2024 at the latest.

The rights shall remain vested even if:

  • You're changing employers
  • Or you lose your job.


You have never worked before and you are registered in Pôle emploi? Your credited CPF is open, credited to zero.

It can therefore be funded, in particular by Pôle emploi, to finance training.

CPF power supply

If you are at full-time, or at least part-time, your account is provisioned at €500 per year of work until €5,000 maximum.


The amount entered on your CPF is not subject to income tax.

There are several special cases in particular:

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement


The account is fed at the level of €500 per year of work until €5,000 maximum.

The amount of your fees is at pro rata if your activity has been partial over the year.

Unskilled employee

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum if you do not have a level of qualification leading to one of the following diplomas or diplomas:

  • CAP/BEP Diploma
  • Professional title registered and classified at level 3 of the NPRI: titleContent
  • Certification recognized by a national sectoral collective agreement

You have to work for it at least half the time.

Recognized disabled worker

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

Accident at work Victim of an occupational disease or disability resulting in at least 10% permanent disability

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

Recipient of an invalidity pension

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

Beneficiary of a military pension

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

Recipient of an allowance or disability pension from volunteer fire fighters

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

Beneficiary of the mobility inclusion card bearing the mention “invalidity”

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

Recipient of Disabled Adult Allowance (DAA)

The account feed is €800 per year of work until €8,000 maximum.

If your working time has been less than half of the legal or agreed working time, your account will be credited in proportion to the working time you have worked.

Where the calculation of your entitlements results in an amount in euro with decimal places, that amount shall be rounded up to two decimal places, to the nearest euro cent.

Example :

Your company opts for the statutory annual working time of 1,607 hours.

You work 700 hours a year, less than half a time.

Thus, your rights will be calculated in proportion to the time actually worked. Instead of €500 every year, you will €217.80.

If you fall into more than one category in a year, the Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC) applies the most favorable annual feed amount and ceiling.

Employer's contribution

The employer can pay you money on your CPF in 6 cases:

  • An agreement provides for this (company, group or branch agreement)
  • In the companies of at least 50 employees, the employer did not realize professional maintenance, scheduled every two years, and you have not received at least one non-compulsory training measure in the last six years.
    The account is then credited with €3,000 complementary.
  • Your rights are insufficient to attend training. In this case, it is possible to ask for the free help of a career development advisor or contact your employer or human resources branch.
  • You are dismissed as a result of the refusal of an amendment to your employment contract resulting from the application of collective performance agreement (you have a minimum abundance of €3,000 of your CPF)
  • You are whistleblower and a penalty has been imposed by the labor council against your employer (you benefit from an abundance of your CPF, the amount of which is fixed by the labor council)
  • You are an employee and have assisted a whistleblower in making a report or disclosure (you receive a maximum of €8,000 of your CPF). The same applies if you are in contact with the whistleblower and risk sanctions from your employer.

Cumulation with other devices

CPF may be combined with other devices (e.g. with training provided by the skills development plan). This rollup allows the duration of the training to be extended.

No, no, no. It is not possible to transfer all or part of the money from the CPF to a third party.

If you have worked in the public sector, your vested rights in hours can be converted into euros.

The conversion into euro of acquired rights in hours shall be effected at the rate of €15 per hour.

It must be done via the site My Training Account.

You keep your CPF throughout your working life.

This is because this account is attached to you and not to your status or employment contract.

This amount of money will accompany you throughout your professional life.


If you claim all your pension rights, your CPF is normally closed.

Video - If you change jobs, will you lose the money that is on your CPF?

Vidéo - If I change jobs, will I lose the money that's on my CPF?
Credits : Public Service (DILA)

If I change jobs, will I lose the money that's on my CPF?

(SMS conversation between two friends)

- Congratulations on your new job! (smiley)

- Thank you!

However, I lose all my CPF money

- Are you sure? (questioning emoticons)

- Yes... the CPF amount is reset to zero when you change jobs

(Received Idea)

“If I change jobs, I lose my CPF money.”



It's a common misconception!

You keep your personal training account - called CPF - throughout your working life.

The CPF is used to fund training.

Except in special cases, it is supplied every year with 500 € if you work at least part time. Otherwise, this amount is proportional to your working time.

This total may not exceed € 5000. In addition, your company or certain organizations, such as Pôle emploi, can add money.

The CPF is attached to you, not to your status or employment contract.

Thus, the amount accumulated on your CPF does not disappear when your professional situation changes.

To better understand, let's take the example of an employee who evolves.

If he changes his company, he arrives at his new employer with the same amount of money on his CPF as when he left his former job.

If he becomes a jobseeker, his CPF is no longer funded, but the amount of money he had is still available for training.

And this whatever the reason for the termination of the employment contract: resignation, dismissal, or breach of contract....

What if he becomes a civil servant or a public official? He retains on his CPF the rights acquired during his previous private sector jobs.

Once in the civil service, a second CPF is open to him: it is fed every year, in hours - and not in euros.

If he wishes to use the rights he had previously acquired in euros, he can convert them into hours so that he can use them in accordance with civil service rules.

In all cases, if the employee claims all his pension rights, his CPF is in principle closed.

Finally, know two things:

Your CPF money cannot be placed in the bank or transferred to a relative

And you should never give your identity and social security number to a suspect organization.

(Key Points)

- You keep your CPF money throughout your working life

- This money is only used to finance your future training

You keep it even if:

- You change employer

- You are signing up for Pôle emploi

- You are joining the public service

The amount of money on your CPF remains available.

Your CPF can be used at any time on the platform My Training Account (MCF):

  • From the foreigner for distance learning
  • In France.


Your CPF money can't fund training for foreigner organizations.

Use of rights

The use of the CPF is your sole initiative.

So your employer can't force you to use your CPF to fund training. You have to agree.

Your refusal to use your CPF is not a fault.


You retain your acquired rights under the Dif, on condition to have carried them over to your CPF before 1er July 2021.

What approach would you take vis-à-vis your employer to use the CPF?

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Training taking place during working hours

You must ask your employer for permission at least:

  • 60 calendar days before the start of training if the duration of the training is less than 6 months
  • Or 120 calendar days before the start of training if the duration of the training is longer than 6 months.

The employer has 30 calendar days for you notify his answer.

Failure to reply within this period shall constitute acceptance of the request for training.

Non-working time training

You don't have to ask your employer for approval.

You can freely exercise your rights to training.

To do this, you can request a career development advisor.

You can talk about your plan to use the FPC to a Career Development Advisor (CPD).

He can help you for free in your efforts.

Find your CEP operator

Educational expenses (i.e. training expenses) may be covered under the personal training account.

Mobility costs and related costs (e.g. transport and meals) are excluded.

If the CPF does not cover the full cost of training, other actors can supplement this funding.

Example :

You, your employer, your Skills Operator (OPCO), theAgefiph: titleContent, your regional council, your city council, your departmental council, Pôle emploi...

Hours spent on training during working time constitute a actual working time and give rise to holding by the employer of your remuneration.

On the other hand, when you train on your free time, that is to say outside working time, this training does not give rise to the right to remuneration.

The Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations provides advice in cases of attempted fraud.

It asks not to communicate sensitive information (e.g. banking data or passwords) by telephone or e-mail.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

You get a text message

You don't click.

You can forward this SMS to the 33,700.

You're getting a call

You don't answer or you hang up.

To stop receiving unsolicited commercial phone calls, you can sign up for the list Bloctel.

Register on the Bloctel opposition list

You receive an email

You don't click and you don't answer.

It is recommended that you delete the message.

You are a victim of a scam if you are in any of the following :

  • You were enrolled in training without knowing it
  • You can't connect to your CPF anymore and think you've been hacked
  • You have given your identity and your social security number to a suspicious organization

The site My Training Account How do I report a scam on My Training Account?gives you the steps to report this scam.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region