Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Remote purchase: appeal in case of dispute

Verified 31 August 2018 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

If you have a problem with a remote purchase (by internet, telephone...) from a professional, you have various recourse, amicable or not.

Professional located in France

In case of dispute following remote purchase with a professional, you must first contact the seller's customer service.

The problem may be an undelivered or non-compliant product for example.

The seller may make available to the consumer a means of tracking orders. This can be a telephone number, charged at the cost of a local call. It cannot be overtaxed. This number is indicated on its website or on your order form.

If no agreement is reached after this first contact, you can send the seller a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt. You must:

  • explain your problem and the purpose of your request (e.g. request a new delivery in case of a package not received)
  • and indicate your contact details, your customer number, the reference of your order and attach all the necessary documents (copies of your order form, the delivery order, the invoice...).

It is recommended that you keep a copy of the emails you receive and send.

Please note

in case of remote purchase, you benefit from a 14 day delay for change your mind and request a refund.

If the seller does not reply to your mail or if you are not satisfied with the response, you can refer the matter to the Consumer Ombudsman. This information must be included in the general conditions of sale.

You can also contact consumer association that will help you in your efforts.

If you feel that you are a victim of a breach of price regulation, an unfair commercial practice or a deception, you can alert the DGCCRF: titleContent..

Who shall I contact

Finally, when you have not been able to obtain an amicable solution, you can enter:

Professional abroad

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Professional located in the country where the consumer lives

This applies to professionals working in the country where the consumer resides or directing their business to that country.

Example :

french-language website, domain name of the site in .com or .eu, telephone coordinates with international prefix

The law applicable shall be that of the country of the consumer.

The competent judge may:

  • the location of the company's registered office,
  • or the place where you were staying at the time the contract was concluded,
  • or the place of delivery or performance of the service,
  • or the place where the harmful event occurred.

Professionals located in Europe

This approach concerns disputes with professionals located in one of the EU Member StatesEuropean Union, Norway, Iceland or the United Kingdom.

You have the possibility to use:

  • if the amount of your dispute does not exceed €2000, the European Online Dispute Resolution Platform,
  • or, in any case, to the services of the European Consumer Center France.

Online dispute resolution - EU consumers and traders

Professional in another country

You must enter online the International Consumer Protection and Control Network (ICPEN), which deals with claims against companies located in the 28 member countries of the network (including the United States).

File a complaint about a purchase made on a foreign website

Unidentifiable Professional

If the information specifying the country in which the trader carries out his activity is not specified or if the trader is not identifiable, you have the possibility to make your report on a platform dedicated to this effect.

Report illegal internet content (internet-flagging: Pharos