Income tax - Capital gains on transferrable securities
Verified 01 January 2023 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Income tax: 2023 2022 income tax return
Published on 1 January 2023
This page is updated for the 2022 tax return.
However, forms, online services and information documents are not yet available for the 2023 campaign. They will be posted as soon as they are available.
Your tax domicile is in France and you have made a gain by selling a security (a share or a bond, for example)? You must pay tax on this capital gain, the year after the sale.
If you made a gain by selling a title (e.g. share or bond) that you own, you will be taxable on the gain realised.
Certain capital gains are exempt, conditions, in particular in the following cases:
- share savings plan
- Salary Savings (PEE: titleContent, Perco: titleContent for example)
The surplus value taxable is the gain you realise by selling a financial title.
This is the difference between:
- Title Purchase Price
- Title Sales Price
If you realise a loss, we're talking about impairment.
The impairment may be deducted from a surplus-value of the same nature, subject to certain conditions.
If you did not realise a capital gain, the capital gain is carried over to the following 10 years.
In 2022, you sold "A" securities that allowed you to earn €3,000, and "B" titles that have caused you to lose €4,000.
You therefore incur a capital loss of €1,000 (€3,000 - €4,000).
This loss can be deducted from your 2022 or 2023 earnings if you did not earn any in 2022.
In general, the financial institution that manages your securities calculates your capital gains and capital losses.
He gives you a summary of your situation to complete your income tax return.
The surplus value realised shall be subject to the single flat-rate levy at the rate 30% (12,8% and 17,20% of social).
However, you can choose progressive scale of income tax.
The taxable capital gain must then be added to your other income on your tax return.
The overall amount is then subject to the progressive scale.
You will also pay 17,20% of social.
if you choose to apply the progressive scale and you acquired the securities before 1to January 2018, you can benefit from abatement for the duration of detention. In this case, your taxable capital gain from income tax will be reduced by the value of the allowance. On the other hand, the social levies will apply to the entire surplus value, including the allowance.
You must report your earnings with the income in the year you sold the security.
Generally, the financial institution that holds your securities will provide you with a summary of your situation to complete your tax return.
You can refer to the supporting documents submitted by the financial institutions (Form 2561 TER):
Summary return on securities transactions and income from movable assets
The Internet income tax return is required if your primary residence is equipped with internet access and you are able to file your return online.
The 2022 income reporting period has ended.
The 2023 return for 2022 income will be in April 2023.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
For general information
0809 401 401
Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 7 pm, excluding public holidays.
Free service + call price
To attach the local service manager of your folderService in charge of taxes (treasury, tax department...)
Learn more about financial rulesSavings Bank Insurance Info Service
- General Tax Code: Articles 150-0 A to 150-0 FCapital gains from the sale for consideration of capital gains from transferrable securities, social rights and similar securities
- General tax code: Article 200aTaxation of capital gains from the sale of transferrable securities and social rights
- Bofip-Taxes n°BOI-RPPM-PVBMI relating to capital gains on tangible personal property
- Bofip-Taxes n°BOI-RPPM-PVBMI-20-10 relating to the calculation of capital gains
- Taxes: Accessing Your Personal Space
- Calculation simulator for 2022: 2021 income tax
- 2022 Online 2021 Income Statement
- Declaration of realised gains or losses
- Income tax return (paper)
- 2022 Income Supplement 2021
- Summary return on securities transactions and income from movable assets
- Return of realised capital gains or losses (non-residents)
- Return of capital gains or losses
- Return of capital gains on tax deferral
- Income tax: return and incomeService-Public.fr
- Income tax: deductions, reductions and tax creditsService-Public.fr
- Tax SiteMinistry of Finance
- 2022 Practice Brochure - 2021 Income Tax ReturnMinistry of Finance
- Securities transfersMinistry of Finance