Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Income tax: should social and family benefits be declared?

Verified 09 décembre 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

No, they are exempt from income tax.

The following aids are fully exempt ::

  • Active Solidarity Income (RSA)
  • Activity premium
  • Family benefits
  • Disability-related benefits
  • Housing allowances

The exemption may in some cases be capped.. You must report the amount that exceeds a limit in these cases.

Income tax exemptions for social and family benefits

Income Tax Exempt Benefits


Restaurant titles

Within €5.52 in 2019 (€5.55 in 2020)

Holiday vouchers

Within €1,521.22

Transportation costs for commuting to and from work (public transportation or public bike rental services)

Within 50% costs

Personal vehicle costs for the journey from home to work (fuel or power supply)

Within €200 per year in 2019 (€400 in 2020)

Electric assisted bicycle or bicycle costs for commuting to work

Within €200 per year

Financial assistance for the payment of personal assistance services, paid directly or by pre-financed universal service (Uesc) employment check

Within €1,830 per year