This page has been automatically translated. Please refer to the page in French if needed.
Yes, you may be exempted from wearing a seat belt for medical or professional reasons.
You are exempt from wearing a seat belt if:
- Your morphology is clearly unsuitable for wearing a belt
- You have medical certificate exemption issued by a licenced physician. The medical certificate must indicate its validity. In case of control, you must present it to the police.
You are exempt from wearing a seat belt if you are in one of the following situations:
- Taxi driver on duty
- Driver or passenger of a priority general interest vehicle or ambulance, in emergency response
- Driver or passenger of a utility vehicle who is forced to stop frequently in built-up areas
- Driver or passenger of a vehicle making door-to-door deliveries in built-up areas
You don't have to take steps to get dispensed.
Reminder : the use of seat belts is mandatory for drivers and passengers. Failure to comply with this obligation is punishable by fines up to €750. In general, this is a flat-rate fine of €135. In addition, the driver may withdraw 3 points of his driving licence.