Withdrawal of points, fine: what penalty in the event of a bicycle violation?
Verified 12 October 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
For cycle, you must comply with the rules of the highway code : traffic rules, parking rules, equipment.
If you commit a infringement, you risk a fine.
See the simulator to find out what fine you may face:
if you have a driving license, you don't lose points on your driver's license in the event of a traffic offense by bicycle. However, in the event of a serious infringement, the judge may suspend your driving license. For example, when driving under the influence of alcohol or endangering the life of others.
- Highway Code: Articles R412-1 to R412-52Equipment and circulation
- Highway Code: Articles R414-1 to R414-17Crossing and overtaking
- Highway Code: Articles R415-1 to R415-15Intersections and transit priority
- Highway Code: Articles R416-1 to R416-20Lighting and signaling devices
- Highway Code: Articles R417-1 to R417-13Stop and parking
- Penal Code: Articles 131-12 to 131-18Conviction
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Articles R48-1 to R49-8Flat-rate fine and increased flat-rate fine
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Articles R49-8-5 to R49-20Lump sum penalty reduced (Article R49-9)
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Articles 529 to 529-2-1Judgment of contraventions
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Articles 530 to 530-6Flat-rate fine procedure
- Highway Code: Articles R234-1 to R234-7Driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol
- Circular of 11 March 2004 on the general system of points driving licenses and probationary licenses (PDF - 156.8 KB)
- Mandatory bicycle accessoriesService-Public.fr
- Post-parking package in case of unpaid parkingService-Public.fr
- Bike Bonus: rules from 15 August to 28 December 2022Service-Public.fr
- Electric Bike Conversion Premium (EAV): August 15 to December 28, 2022Service-Public.fr
- Electric scooter, rollerblading or skateboardingService-Public.fr
- Cycling, driving safelyMinistry of Transport