Ehpad: care facility for dependent elderly people
Verified 01 January 2023 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), National Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
Coronavirus and access to Ehpads
Published on 8 August 2022
Surgical masks are no longer required to visit a resident of a community. Ehpad: titleContent, but it is still highly recommended.
The Ehpad: titleContent (formerly retirement homes) are institutions where dependent elderly people are housed. In order to be admitted to Ehpad, the elderly person must be at least 60 years old and need daily care and assistance for everyday acts. Under certain conditions, it can obtain aid to pay the fees charged by Ehpad.
One Ehpad: titleContent provides accommodation for older people on a full-time or part-time, permanent or temporary basis.
It provides the elderly person with medical and paramedical care adapted to his or her state of health and the elderly person. It also carries out prevention and health education activities.
For this, when entering Ehpad, the elderly person (with his trusted person) and Ehpad agree together on a personalized support project. It is a care and life project that formalizes the aspirations and choices of the elderly person in the short, medium and long term.
Minimum mandatory benefits
An Ehpad shall provide at least the following:
- General administration (inventory, family liaison document, residence contract or individual care document)
- Hotel reception (provision of a room, access to a bathroom including at least a sink, a shower and a toilet, access to television, telephone and internet, a device for lighting, heating, maintenance and cleaning of the premises...)
- Catering (access to a catering service, daily provision of 3 meals, a snack and a night snack)
- Laundry (provision of bed and bathroom linen and maintenance)
- Entertainment (group entertainment inside and outside the Ehpad)
other services may be offered in addition (for example, hairdressing services).
Professionals intervening in Ehpad
An Ehpad shall have a multidisciplinary team of professionals comprising at least:
- a coordinating physician
- a nurse with a State Diploma
- of nursing assistants
- medical and psychological assistance
- educational and social coaches
- psycho-educational staff
most Ehpads are generalist and can accommodate multiple Alzheimer's patients, but some Ehpads are specialized in the management of this disease.
There is a comparative directory of Ehpads' services and prices, available online:
Video: How to make the right choice of an establishment?
To be admitted to Ehpad: titleContent, the following conditions must be met:
- Be at least 60 years old
- Requiring care and daily help with everyday activities (for example, getting up, eating)
But an Ehpad may have a waiver that allows it to house people under 60. This derogation is granted by the administration of the department where Ehpad is located.
it is possible to keep their usual attending physician if the Ehapd is located near the older person's former home and the physician agrees to move around the facility. Otherwise, a list of attending physicians is provided at the time of admission.
The request to be hosted in Ehpad can be made:
- Either online, in more than 70 departments
- Either with a form to fill in and then send
The online application allows you to fill in the admission file once and send it simultaneously to several Ehpads.
The form must be sent to the Ehpads of his choice, preferably by registered letter with notice of receipt.
This admission file is to be completed in one copy and photocopied according to the number of Ehpads chosen.
Who shall I contact
It is preferable to carry out several simultaneous admission requests in several Ehpads.
As soon as a place becomes available, the management contacts the elderly person in order to consider the possibility of admission. The head of the institution shall issue the admission after having obtained the opinion of the coordinating doctor of the structure.
The elderly person may refuse entry to Ehpad if he has found another place elsewhere or if he has changed his mind.
L'Ehpad: titleContent charges for the services it provides by applying 3 main types of tariffs:
- Accommodation rate, which includes hospitality, catering, laundry and entertainment services, and general administration. This fee is not linked to the elderly person's dependency status. It is identical for all residents of the same Ehpad enjoying the same level of comfort and arriving in the same year.
- Dependency Price List, which includes the provision of assistance and supervision necessary for the performance of everyday acts. The dependency rate varies depending on the degree of dependency of the elderly person. The more dependent the older person is, the higher the cost. Dependency status is assessed by the Ehpad coordinating physician using the Aggir grid.
- Price for treatments. This fee is paid by the Health Insurance. It covers in particular medical equipment and the costs of health care personnel. So it's not billed to the senior.
It is possible to know and compare the benefits and the accommodation rate and dependency tariff Ehpads using this online service:
Where the elderly person has insufficient resources to cover the cost of Ehpad, he or she may receive financial assistance. It can receive up to 3 different financial grants.
Personalized Assisted Living (AAL) and Housing Assistance
- The Apa is used to pay part of the dependency fee charged by Ehpad. This aid is granted to the elderly person whose loss of autonomy is classified in Gir 1, Gir 2, Gir 3 or Gir 4. A person classified as Gir 5 or Gir 6 is not eligible for the Apa.
- Housing assistance (social housing allowance (SLA) or personalized housing assistance (APL)) is used to pay part of the accommodation price charged by Ehpad.
The older person can estimate the amount of his or her charge using a simulator. This simulator takes into account Apa and housing assistance:
Social Assistance for Accommodation (ASH)
ASH is only paid to the elderly if they are accommodated in certain Ehpads. There is a directory of Ehpads that specifies who qualifies or does not qualify for ASH:
Income tax reduction
Where the elderly person is taxable, he may benefit from a tax reduction not exceeding €2,500.
A residence contract (or individual document) must be concluded between the elderly person (or with their legal representative) andEhpad: titleContent, when the accommodation is longer than 2 months.
When entering Ehpad, as with any move, steps are to be carried out with certain administrations.
The contract shall specify in particular the following:
- Setting Support Objectives
- Mention of benefits
- Description of residence and reception conditions
- Method of calculation and financial contribution of each benefit or package of benefits, including in the event of absence or hospitalization
- Right of withdrawal
- List of mandatory minimum services (accommodation and maintenance of premises, means of communication including Internet, catering, laundry including the provision of maintenance and renewal of laundry, medical surveillance, animations...)
- Mention of annual changes in the price of services
Each year, the definition of objectives and deliverables is updated.
Ehpad entitled to receive social assistance recipients
The residence contract shall be handed over to the elderly person at the latest within 15 days of admission. It must be signed within a month.
The residence contract must be signed prior to the admission of the elderly person.
The elderly person (or his or her legal representative) may exercise his or her right of withdrawal in writing within 15 days
- the signature of the contract
- or its admission if later.
After the withdrawal period, the elderly person may terminate the residence contract in writing at any time within a period of one month's notice (the contract may, however, provide for a shorter period).
Where termination is initiated by the institution, it may only take place in one of the following situations:
- The elderly person does not comply with an obligation linked to the residence contract or the Ehpad operating rules. However, where a medical opinion finds that this situation results from an impairment of mental or physical faculties, Ehpad cannot terminate the residence contract.
- Ehpad is out of business
- The elderly person ceases to meet the conditions for admission or his state of health requires equipment or care not available in Ehpad for a long time
In the event of a withdrawal, the amount of the deposit paid prior to entry into the establishment shall be deducted from the amount invoiced for the duration of stay.
Payment of a security deposit
A security deposit (sum of money) can be requested. Its amount must not exceed the monthly accommodation rate that remains payable by the person accommodated.
The security deposit must be returned within 30 days of the date of departure from the establishment, after deduction of any claim. Thus, if the elderly person (or his legal representative) has exercised his right of withdrawal, the amount of the deposit, if any, paid upon entry into the establishment, shall be deducted from the amount invoiced in respect of the period of stay completed.
The date of removal from the institution shall be the date of the contradictory inventory carried out at the time of the departure of the resident.
Joint and several guarantee
Some Ehpads ask for an act of solidarity bail to the obligated breadwinners (children, grandchildren, sons-in-law or daughters-in-law). They undertake to pay the accommodation costs if the elderly person is no longer able to do so.
A welcome booklet is given to the elderly person. It contains
- a charter of rights and freedoms (this charter must also be posted in the institution)
- and the operating regulations.
A contradictory inventory of the room must be made when the elderly person arrives.
The supply of medicines is ensured by Ehpad from the medical prescription.
Ehpad obtains the medicines from its own pharmacy, if it has them, or from a pharmacy with which it has signed an agreement.
Older adults may also choose to take care of their drugs and treat directly with the pharmacy of their choice.
In the event of death or if the elderly person decides to leave the institution, a contradictory inventory of the room must be made.
Rehabilitation costs may be claimed if the exit location differs from the arrival location. These fees do not apply to damage caused by the dilapidation of the premises.
no fee may be charged for the rehabilitation where an inventory has not been completed on entry and exit.
In the event of death, the contradictory state of exit indicates the date of removal of the personal objects of the deceased.
If personal items are not removed from the room within 6 days of death, the property may charge for occupancy. The amount claimed may not exceed that corresponding to the benefit pool due for a maximum period of 6 days.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region