Ehpad: accommodation for elderly dependents
Verified 26 March 2020 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), National Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
Covid-19: measures applicable to establishments
Published on : 16 Oct 2020
One statement the Minister responsible for health details the measures implemented in the medical and social institutions in the context of the health crisis of Covid-19 (including visits by relatives).
These measures shall apply from 1to October 2020.
Housing institutions for elderly dependents (Ehpad), formerly known as retirement homes, are medical facilities for elderly dependents. To be welcomed in Ehpad: titleContent, you must be at least 60 years of age and need daily care and help to carry out the acts of daily life. Financial aid may be granted to pay certain costs.
Ehpads house full-time or part-time seniors, either permanently or temporarily.
They offer appropriate medical and paramedical care, preventive actions and health education.
A personalized support project is set up with the elderly person (and with his trusted person). It includes a project of care and life expressing the aspirations and choices of the elderly in the short, medium and long term.
The Ehpad must at least provide the following services:
- General administration (status, family liaison document, residence contract or individual care document)
- Hotel reception (one room available, access to a bathroom including at least a sink, a shower and toilets, lighting, heating, maintenance and cleaning, access to TV, telephone and internet...)
- Catering (access to a catering service, provision of 3 meals, a snack and a nightly snack)
- Blanching (provision of bed linen and towels and maintenance)
- Entertainment (collective entertainment inside and outside the establishment)
Other amenities may also be offered (hairdressing service, for example).
The Ehpad shall have a multidisciplinary team comprising at least:
- a medical coordinator,
- a nursing professional with a state diploma,
- nursing assistants,
- medico-psychological aids,
- educational and social workers
- and psycho-educational personnel.
in the context of the state of health emergency linked to Covid-19, the Ehpad can adapt their organizational and operating conditions and provide unforeseen services. They may also propose a different division of activities and use other professional qualifications.
While most Ehpads are generalists and can accommodate several people with Alzheimer's disease, some are specialized in this care.
A directory-comparator of the services and prices of Ehpad is available online.
Video: How to make the right choice for an establishment?
To be welcomed as an Ehpad, you must:
- at least 60 years of age
- and need daily care and help to carry out the acts of everyday life (for example, getting up, eating).
However, some departments grant exemptions for the admission of persons under 60 years of age to the Ephad.
The application can be made online (in more than 70 departments ) or by filling out a form to be sent.
The online application allows you to fill out the application once and send it simultaneously to several Ehpad.
The form must be sent to the Ehpad of his choice, preferably by registered letter with notice of receipt. This application is to be completed in 1 copy and photocopied according to the number of Ehpad chosen.
Who shall I contact
It is preferable to make several simultaneous applications in several Ehpad.
As soon as a place becomes available, management contacts the elderly person to consider the possibility of admission. It is the person in charge of the establishment who decides on admission after having obtained the opinion of the structure's medical coordinator.
The elderly person may refuse entry to an institution if he has found another place elsewhere or if he has changed his mind.
The services are classified in 3 main categories: accommodation rates, dependency rates, care rates.
The portal for the elderly offers a yearbook-comparison of services and prices of Ehpad, which displays the rates Accommodation and Dependence practiced.
The accommodation rate covers all of the following:
- Hotel reception
- General Administration.
This rate is not related to the elderly person's dependency status. It is the same for all residents of the same establishment who enjoy the same level of comfort and who arrived the same year.
The dependency rate shall cover all the assistance and supervision necessary for the performance of everyday activities.
The Ehpad Medical Coordinator assesses the elderly person's iso-resources group (Gir) from a national autonomy grid, gerontology, iso-resource group (Aggir)..
The dependency rate is billed according to this level of Gir. Thus, the more dependent the older person is, the higher the cost.
The cost of the treatment is borne by the Health Insurance. It includes medical equipment, the expenses of medical personnel.
This rate is therefore not charged to the elderly person.
it is possible to retain your regular attending physician if the establishment is located near your former home and the physician agrees to travel within the establishment. Otherwise, a list of treating doctors is given at the time of admission.
A residence contract (or an individual document) must be concluded with the elderly person (or with his/her legal representative) and the establishment.
A residence contract is always signed when the accommodation is more than 2 months.
When entering Ehpad, as with any move, steps are to be carried out in certain administrations.
The contract shall specify in particular the following:
- Define support objectives
- Mention of benefits
- Description of residence and reception conditions
- Financial contribution, including in the event of absence or hospitalization
- List of services offered (accommodation, catering, laundry, medical supervision, activities,...)
Each year, the definition of objectives and benefits is updated.
Ehpad entitled to receive social assistance
The residence contract shall be handed over to the elderly person at the latest within 15 days of admission. It must be signed within a month.
The residence contract must be signed prior to the admission of the elderly person.
The elderly person (or their legal representative) may exercise their right of withdrawal in writing within 15 days
- signature of the contract
- or its admission if it is later.
After the withdrawal period, the elderly person may terminate the residence contract in writing at any time within a period of 1 month's notice (the contract may, however, provide for a shorter period).
Where the termination is initiated by the institution, it may only take place in one of the following situations:
- The elderly person does not fulfill an obligation relating to the residence contract or in the event of a serious or repeated breach of the operating rules. However, where a medical opinion finds that the non-performance or non-compliance is due to an impairment of mental or physical faculties, the institution may not terminate the residence contract.
- Total cessation of business of the establishment
- The elderly person ceases to fulfill the admission requirements or his/her health condition requires equipment or care not available in the establishment for a long time
Payment of a deposit
A deposit (money) may be requested, but it must not exceed the monthly accommodation rate.
The deposit must be returned within 30 days of departure, less any claim..
Some Ehpad require a solidarity bond to the obligated food (children, grandchildren, sons and daughters-in-law). They undertake to pay the costs of accommodation if the elderly person is no longer able to do so.
A welcome booklet is given to the elderly person. This shall contain:
- a charter of rights and freedoms (this charter must also be posted in the institution),
- the operating rules.
An inventory of the room must be made upon arrival.
The supply of medicines is ensured by the Ehpad from the medical prescription.
Ehpad obtains the medicines from its own pharmacy, if it has them, or from a pharmacy with which it has signed an agreement.
The elderly person may also choose to take care of their medication and to deal directly with the pharmacy of their choice.
In the event of insufficient resources for the elderly, the costs may be offset by:
- Custom Autonomy Help (Apa) which applies to the part of the bill relating to the dependency rate for persons in Gir 1-2 and Gir 3-4 (persons in Gir 5-6 are not eligible for the Apa),
- housing assistance (social housing allowance (SLA) or personalized housing assistance (APL)) which applies to the part of the invoice relating to the accommodation tariff,
- social housing assistance (ASH) provided that the elderly person chooses an Ehpad that accepts this assistance. The portal for the elderly offers a directory of Ehpads that specifies those who are entitled or not to receive beneficiaries of ASH.
These 3 aids can be combined.
Where the elderly person is taxable, he may benefit from tax reduction not exceeding €2,500..
The elderly person can assess the amount of their remainder using a simulator. The simulator takes into account the Apa and housing aid.
In the event of death or if the elderly person decides to leave the establishment, a survey of the room must be carried out.
Rehabilitation costs may be claimed if the state of exit places differs from the state of arrival. These charges do not apply to damage caused by the dilapidation of the premises.
No amount may be required for rehabilitation in the event that an inventory has not been carried out at the entrance and exit.
- Social Action and Family Code: Items D312-155-0 to D312-159-2Operation
- Social Action and Family Code: Article L311-3Rights of residents
- Social Action and Family Code: Article D311Content of the residence contract (or individual document)
- Social Action and Family Code: Article L314-2Pricing
- Social Action and Family Code: Articles L232-8 to L232-11Payment of the Apa
- Search for accommodation for the elderly (Ehpad, independent residence, long-term care facility) and compare the benefits and prices for certain types of accommodation
- Application for admission to a residential institution for elderly dependents (Ehpad)
- Online application for admission to a residential care facility for elderly dependents (Ehpad)
- Residence in Ehpad: calculation of the amount remaining to be paid after deduction of public aid
- Social housing assistance (ASH) for an elderly personService-Public.fr
- Site "For the elderly.fr" (elderly people in loss of autonomy)National Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- What guarantees are required to enter Ehpad?National Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Preparing to enter a retirement homeNational Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Entry to a retirement home: first daysNational Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Housing Assistance in Retirement Homes - Version "easy to read and understand"National Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Social housing assistance - "easy to read and understand" versionNational Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Know the obligations of the familyNational Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Ehpad entry: sell or rent a houseNational Solidarity Fund for Autonomy (CNSA)
- Online application for admission to an institution for the elderly: eligible departmentsVia Trajectory