Who can have information about your driving license (points, validity...)?
Verified 21 November 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Some authorities and individually designated and empowered persons may know the point balance of your driving license via access to the NCPS: titleContent.
- Central Administration Officer under the authority of the Minister of the Interior, responsible for recording information on driving licenses
- Agent the National Agency for Securities (ANTS)
- Judicial authority
- Administrative Magistrate for the hearing of appeals against decisions to withdraw points from the driving license
- Judicial Police Officer under the the execution of a court order or a flagrancy investigation
- Agent placed under the authority of the prefect, responsible for registration on the license and the driving license regulations
- Official of policy national and military gendarme national, for roadside checks
- Agent specially authorized to carry out statistical studies on road accidents
- Officer under the authority of the Minister responsible for transportation, for the road transport control
You yourself have access to the balance of your points via the online service My points allowed. You can also request a full information statement (RII) from your prefecture.
Limited access to the driving license file (SNPC)
Some authorities and individually designated and empowered persons have access to the information of the NCPS: titleContent concerning the existence, category and validity of your license.
These are the following authorities and individuals:
- Judicial Police Officer, or a judicial police officer in connection with a preliminary investigation
- Deputy judicial police officer and country guard for the identification of the perpetrators of certain infringements to the highway code
- Agent of an organization responsible for driver card associated with the electronic tachograph or the driver qualification card of certain road vehicles
- Agent of a public road transport company, for persons employed as drivers
- Authority of a European Union countries for the authentication of the driving licensein accordance with the international agreements in force
On request addressed to the Prefect
The following persons and authorities, in the context of their missions, may ask the prefect if you have a license, if it is valid, and what categories you have:
- Civil or military administration, for persons employed as drivers and for applicants for the employment of driver
- insurance company, for their policyholders having subscribed to a motor insurance contract
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Highway Code: Articles L223-1 to L223-9Collection of information on the number of driving license points (Article L223-7)
- Highway Code: Articles L225-1 to L225-9Recording and communication of driving license information
- Insurance Code: Articles L113-1 to L113-17Obligations of the insured (Article L113-2)
- Labor Code: Articles L1221-6 to L1221-9Recruitment (Article L1221-6)
- Highway Code: Articles R225-1 to R225-6Recording and communication of driving license information
- Order of 27 June 2007 authorizing the creation of an automated processing called "Telepoints"
- Order of 29 June 1992 establishing the National Driving License System
- Driving license balance: how to know the number of points?
- Can an employer inquire about an employee's driving license?
- Should you inform your insurance provider if your driver's license is revoked?
- How do I request a Restricted Information Record (RIR)?
- How do I request a full information record (RII)?
- Point driver's license: how to make a claim?
- What is the period of validity of a driving license?