Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Penalty payable after automated (radar) inspection

Verified 02 April 2021 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of Justice

Additional cases ?

After vehicle interception

In case offence recorded by automated control (flash radar), a notice of violation and a payment card (called letter card) are sent by mail to the holder of the certificate of registration (carte grise). The fine to be paid is lump. Its amount can be reduced or increased according to payment deadlines. There are various ways to settle or challenge the fine.

The main offences traffic rules which may be established by automated control and standard fine are the following contraventions:

  • No seat belt use
  • Use of handheld mobile phone
  • Use of lanes and pavements reserved for certain categories of vehicles such as buses and taxis
  • Traffic, stop, and parking on emergency stop strips
  • Failure to respect safety distances between vehicles
  • Overlapping and Crossing of Continuous Lines
  • Circulation forbidden
  • Turn or reverse on a highway
  • Non-compliance with the stop signs (red light, stop...)
  • Non-compliance with maximum permitted speeds
  • Non-compliance with overflow rules
  • Committing at an intersection that could prevent a vehicle from crossing the other lane
  • No powered two-wheeled helmet

Please note

driving without a car insurance contract can also be seen through automatic radar. It's a crime subject to specific rules.

You receive a ticket and a payment card, also called letter card.

The notice shall include the following information:

  • Amount of the lump sum fine
  • Amount of the lump sum fine reduced provided that payment is made within certain time limits
  • Amount of the lump sum fine increased if you do not pay or contest within the specified time
  • Procedure to pay and contest the fine

Please note

if you did not change an address change on your carte grise, you may receive a lump sum penalty if you do not pay on time.

Amount of the lump sum fine





1re class

No reduced amount



2e class




1e class




4e class




Amount is reduced or increased according to the time limit within which payment is made.

The deadline runs from the date the notice of violation was sent.

Amount to be paid according to the deadline and the method of payment

Payment time based on payment method

Flat fine

Check or cash

Telepayment (Internet or telephone)

or dematerialised stamp

15 days

30 days


45 days

60 days


Beyond 45 days

Beyond 60 days


If you don't pay the flat fine within 45 days (60 days in case of payment by telemedicine), you receive a notice inviting you to pay the increased amount of the fine.

You must pay the increased fine within 30 days of sending the notice (within 45 days in case of payment by telemetry).

However, if you pay the increased fine within 30 days, the amount is reduced by 20%.

At the end of the period allowed to pay the increased fine, the Treasury initiated legal proceedings to obtain its payment.

The Treasury Accountant shall inform the public prosecutor its approach.

If you have trouble paying a standard fine increased, you can request a payment delay or graceful discount.

You must send your request to the Public Treasury Accountant.

Your request must be justified: explain why you need time to pay or a discount.

If the public accountant considers the request to be justified, he or she may grant you either a time limit for payment or a free, partial or full refund (if necessary, a 20% reduction).

By telemarketing

If the teleshopping reference is on the payment card, you can pay the fine remotely.

Remote payment can be made over the Internet or by telephone.

Pay your fine on

Who shall I contact
By mail

You can pay the fine by check payable to the Treasury (or the Directorate General of Public Finance, as indicated on the payment card).

It must be accompanied by the payment card.

On site

You can pay the fine at a public finance centre.

Payment can be in cash, by check or by credit card.

Cash payment is limited to €300.

By dematerialised stamp

You can pay the flat fine and the flat fine reduced by dematerialised stamp.

The dematerialised stamp is available from certain approved buralists electronic payment of fines.

You must present the payment stub to the buralist and pay the fine.

The buralist will give you a proof of payment.


you cannot pay the lump sum fine increased by dematerialised stamp.

If you have received a notice of violation or a notice of increased fines, you have a right of access to the photo taken by the automated control devices.

The request for a photo does not suspend the time limit for payment or the time limit for any challenge.


You can use the online service:

Application for a Radar Fine

By mail

You can make a request on free paper and send it to the Photography Department of the Automated Traffic Detection Centre (Cacir).

Attach the following documents to your application:

  • Copy of your ID
  • Copy of notice of contravention or increased flat rate penalty.
Who shall I contact

You cannot challenge a standard fine increased (claim procedure) if you have requested a payment period or graceful discount.


You must meet the following deadlines to contest the fine:

  • Flat fine: 45 days from the date the notice of violation was sent
  • Increased flat fine: 30 days from the sending of the notice of increased flat-rate fine

Application (flat-rate fine) or claim (increased flat-rate fine)


The protest can be held directly on the website of theANTAI: titleContent.

Please refer to the Notice of Flat Penalty or Flat Penalty plus for the procedure to follow.

Flat fine notice: online protest

By mail

You must complete the form attached to the notice you received:

  • Request for exemption form in case of flat fine
  • Claim form for increased lump sum

The form explains how to complete it and what supporting documents are to be attached based on the reason for your protest.

Send these documents by letter RAR: titleContent to the Public Prosecution Officer (OMP). His address is on the notice.

Payment of a deposit

You must pay logging if you challenge the reality of the offence.

The amount payable is the same as the fine.

Amount of fine


Flat fine

Increased flat fine

1re class



2e class



1e class



4e class



The procedure for settling the deposit is the same as for paying the fine. But use consignment card attached to the protest form, not the payment card.

However, you do not have to pay a deposit in the following 2 cases.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

It was not your vehicle or it was stolen at the time of the offence

You must be able to provide one of the following:

  • Receipt of complaint for theft or destruction of vehicle
  • Receipt of the complaint for the offence of usurpation of licence plates
  • Copy of vehicle destruction declaration
  • Copies of the vehicle transfer declaration and its registration certificate in the vehicle registration system (SIV)

You wish to designate yourself or another driver

You must be able to produce a letter indicating the identity, address and licence reference of the person who was presumed to be driving the vehicle when the contravention was found.

Dispute handling

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

If no deposit is payable

Officer of the public prosecution may waive any prosecution and dismiss the offence.

You receive an email to inform yourself.

If a deposit is due

Officer of the public prosecution can take one of the following 2 decisions:

  • Declare your protest inadmissible. Your deposit amounts to having paid the fine.
  • Declare your challenge admissible. Your file is then forwarded to the public prosecutor's office in your home. The police officer can either dismiss you or prosecute you in the police court.

You receive a letter to inform you of the decision.

If you are being sued before the police court, there are 2 possibilities:

  • Either you are relaxed and refunded from the deposit.
  • Either you're fined. The amount shall be at least equal to the amount of the flat-rate fine or the increased flat-rate fine plus 10 %. Depending on the offence committed, the judge may also decide to additional penalty. For example, driving licence suspension.