Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Traveling in Europe with a weapon: European firearms pass

Verified 20 October 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

Weapons holders: access to the weapons information system (AIS)

Published on 26 May 2023

The Weapons Information System (AIS) shall be open to the following major private weapons holders:

  • Person with a hunting license
  • Person wishing to keep a weapon found or inherited and who has no title to possession (no hunting license, no collector's card, no sports license from shooting, ball-trap or ski federations (biathlon)

The AIS allows you to do your homework and access your digital rack.

This page will be updated as the AIS is opened to other specific weapons owners.

Hunting, sport shooting, participation in a historical reconstruction in another country of the European Union : what are the conditions for carry your weapon ? How to ask the european firearms pass ? We'll show you the main rules to know on the european firearms pass

For to carry a weapon during a travel in another European country, you must complete the 2 conditions following:

  • Have the european firearms pass
    This map attest than you hold and use the weapons which are registered in the on a regular basis.
  • Have a proof proving that you travel in a purpose of hunting, of sport shooting or participation in a historical reconstruction.
    Examples: proof of your registration for an official shooting competition mentioning the date and place of this competition, invitation to a hunting party.

You must present the european firearms pass and the proof to any request from the competent authorities.


If you travel in a other purpose or if you go to a country banning the weapon concerned, or shall make it subject to authorization, you must ask one authorisation to this country before you leave.

To apply for the European firearms pass, you must complete the 2 conditions following:

  • Be domiciled in France
  • Hold or use legally the weapons which will be registered.

You need to build a case with the subsequent documents :

  • Form cerfa no. 10832
  • Copy of a identity document (valid national identity card, passport or residence permit)
  • Copy of a proof of domicile (rental contract, recent electricity, gas, telephone bills, insurance certificate...)
  • 2 photos recent identities
  • Proof of arms: copy of authorizations for possession of category B weapons and/or copy of Class C Arms Declaration Receipts

Only one card per person may be issued.

You must contact the prefecture of your home, and in Paris, at the police department.

Who shall I contact

Yes, the approach is free.

The duration of validity of the european firearms pass is 5 years.

However, if the card mentions one or more category B weapons, the expiry of the card corresponds to the end of validity of the detention authorization of those weapons.

The gait for ask the renewal of the european firearms pass is identical to the original application.

In case of loss or theft of your european firearms pass, you have 1 month for to make a declaration to the prefecture of your home, or in Paris, at the police department.

Who shall I contact

In case of loss of a weapon inscribed on the European card, you must return your card or request its update.

You have a 1-month period following the loss of the weapon.

The restitution of the map is done at prefecture of your home, or in Paris, at the police department,

The procedure for update the european firearms pass is identical to the initial application of the map.

Who shall I contact

Please note

The gait is identical in case of sale, theft, destruction or transformation of a weapon on the European card.

Application for a European firearms pass: first application, renewal or amendment

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region