Should a child foreigner have a residence card? 

Verified 20 August 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

No, if you are a minor child, you do not have to have a residence permit.

But from your 16th birthday, if you wish work, follow a work placement or register with Pôle emploi, you must apply for a residence card.

You have the law to obtain a temporary residence card private and family life if you are in any of the following situations:

  • You entered France by family reunification
  • You prove that you have usually lived in France with at least one of your parents (father or mother) since you were 13 years old at most
  • You have been entrusted to the service of theAse: titleContent (subject to conditions)
  • You were born in France and prove to have lived there for at least 8 years continuously and after your 10th birthday, a minimum of 5 years of schooling in a french school
  • One of your parents has been admitted to France as EU long-term resident in another EU countryEU: titleContent (subject to conditions)
  • One of your parents has been grantedstateless person
  • One of your parents got the benefit of the subsidiary protection.

You have the law to obtain a resident card if you are in any of the following situations:

  • You entered France through family reunification and you have resided in France continuously for at least 3 years
  • You are a child of French (as long as you entered France under long-stay visa)
  • You are entitled to receive a French death annuity for an accident at work or occupational disease
  • You have been granted refugee (or one of your parents has this status)
  • One of your parents was granted stateless status and has resided in France for at least 3 years
  • You meet the acquisition requirements of the French nationality because of your birth and residence in France.

You have the right to residence permit talent passport (family) if one of your parents owns a multi-year passport talent residence card.

These cards automatically allow you to work.

If you are not in one of these situations, the prefect has a discretion to issue you or not a card.

This is mainly the case if you request a 1-year residence permit employed or temporary worker. In this case, you must first search for an employer and have been authorized to work.


you can request a Minor foreigner Movement Document (MRD), especially to facilitate your travel outside France.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region