Change of name following a marriage: should the gray card be changed?
Verified 19 December 2019 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Whether you are a man or a woman, you can use as usage name the name of the person you are with are married..
You can therefore choose to wear in addition to your family name ::
- or your spouse,
- or double name composed of your own name and the name of your spouse in the order you wish. In this case, the 2 names are joined by a dash.
The name of Pacs' partner or partner cannot be used as a usage name.
The process is to be carried out online using the following remote service:
You must identify yourself through France Connect..
A digital copy device (scanner, digital camera, smartphone or tablet equipped with a photo function) is required.
Of numeric points (with computers, printers and scanners) are available in each prefecture and in most sub-prefectures. You can accomplish the process, helped by mediators if you encounter difficulties with the use of the Internet.
You can also be accompanied in your walk in a house of services to the public.
Who shall I contact
it is no longer possible to request a gray card from the prefecture or the sub-prefecture.
You must have a digital copy (photo or scan) of the following documents:
- Proof of domicile less than 6 months
- Form cerfa n°13750*05
- Original Gray Card
- Proof of technical inspection valid if the vehicle is more than 4 years old, unless he is exempted from supervision
- Extract from marriage certificate or family booklet
You must certify on the honor that the gray card applicant has
- a vehicle insurance certificate
- and a driving license corresponding to the category of the registered vehicle.
You do not have to attach a digital copy (photo or scan) of the driver's license. However, you may be asked to do so when you are examining your file.
You will have to pay a gray card handling fee of €2.76.. You must obligatorily pay by credit card.
At the end of the procedure, you will get:
- a file number,
- an acknowledgement of your application
- and an Interim Certificate of Registration (ICC), which you must print out. The CPI allows you to travel for 1 month, only in France, waiting to receive your gray card.
You will receive the final gray card under secure fold at home a delay that may vary.. You can follow the progress of its manufacture online:
you must keep the old gray card for 5 years and then destroy it.
- Digital PointsMinistry of the Interior