Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Change of name following a marriage: should the gray card be changed?

Verified 19 December 2019 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Whether you are a man or a woman, you can use as usage name the name of the person you are with are married..

You can therefore choose to wear in addition to your family name ::

  • or your spouse,
  • or double name composed of your own name and the name of your spouse in the order you wish. In this case, the 2 names are joined by a dash.

The name of Pacs' partner or partner cannot be used as a usage name.

The process is to be carried out online using the following remote service:

Request a new gray card following the change of the holder's username

You must identify yourself through France Connect..

A digital copy device (scanner, digital camera, smartphone or tablet equipped with a photo function) is required.

Of numeric points (with computers, printers and scanners) are available in each prefecture and in most sub-prefectures. You can accomplish the process, helped by mediators if you encounter difficulties with the use of the Internet.

You can also be accompanied in your walk in a house of services to the public.

Who shall I contact


it is no longer possible to request a gray card from the prefecture or the sub-prefecture.

You must have a digital copy (photo or scan) of the following documents:

If you're going to do it for someone else, you need a digital copy of the mandate signed and identification..

You must certify on the honor that the gray card applicant has

  • a vehicle insurance certificate
  • and a driving license corresponding to the category of the registered vehicle.

You do not have to attach a digital copy (photo or scan) of the driver's license. However, you may be asked to do so when you are examining your file.

You will have to pay a gray card handling fee of €2.76.. You must obligatorily pay by credit card.

At the end of the procedure, you will get:

  • a file number,
  • an acknowledgement of your application
  • and an Interim Certificate of Registration (ICC), which you must print out. The CPI allows you to travel for 1 month, only in France, waiting to receive your gray card.

You will receive the final gray card under secure fold at home a delay that may vary.. You can follow the progress of its manufacture online:

Follow your gray card request

Please note

you must keep the old gray card for 5 years and then destroy it.