After a divorce, how do you have the ex-husband removed from the gray card?
Verified 24 January 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Changing the name of the gray card holder after a divorce is not mandatory. However, when the vehicle is assigned to one of the former spouses after the divorce, the former spouse may apply for it.
There is no time limit to complete this formality.
The process is to be carried out online using the following remote service:
You must identify yourself through France Connect..
A digital copy device (scanner, digital camera, smartphone or tablet equipped with a photo function) is required.
Of numeric points (with computers, printers and scanners) are available in each prefecture and in most sub-prefectures. You can accomplish the process, helped by mediators if you encounter difficulties with the use of the Internet.
You can also be accompanied in your walk in a house of services to the public.
Who shall I contact
it is no longer possible to request a gray card from the prefecture or the sub-prefecture.
You must have a digital copy (photo or scan) of the following documents:
- Proof of domicile less than 6 months
- Form cerfa n°13750*05
- Original Gray Card
- Proof of technical inspection valid if the vehicle is more than 4 years old, unless he is exempted from supervision
- Either the divorce judgment specifying that the vehicle (make and registration number) is assigned to you, or the divorce judgment + a certificate of transfer drawn up for your benefit by the holder (or co-holder) of the gray card, or, if the divorce is pronounced by mutual consent, the divorce agreement registered by a notary indicating that the vehicle is assigned to you
You must certify on the honor that the gray card applicant has
- a vehicle insurance certificate
- and a driving license corresponding to the category of the registered vehicle.
You do not have to attach a digital copy (photo or scan) of the driver's license. However, you may be asked to do so when you are examining your file.
You will have to pay a gray card handling fee of €2.76.. You must obligatorily pay by credit card.
At the end of the procedure, you will get:
- a file number,
- an acknowledgement of your application
- and an Interim Certificate of Registration (ICC), which you must print out. The CPI allows you to travel for 1 month, only in France, waiting to receive your gray card.
You will receive the final gray card under secure fold at home a delay that may vary.. You can follow the progress of its manufacture online:
You must keep the old gray card for 5 years and then destroy it.
if the vehicle is leased, you don't have to do it. The owner (financial institution or lender) will take care of the formalities of modifying the gray card. Contact him to find out what documents to send him.
- Request the removal of a co-holder on the gray card
- Calculate the cost of the greycard
- Application for a vehicle registration certificate
- Follow your gray card request
- Digital PointsMinistry of the Interior