Driving license: supervised driving from 18 years
Verified 01 June 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Supervised driving possible in the event of failure to pass the practical test
Published on 3 June 2020
The law n°2019-1428 of 24 december 2019 on the orientation of mobility and decree n°2020-605 of 18 may 2020 allow a student who has failed the driving test to follow the supervised driving.
The student must have validated minimum skills during the practical driving test.
An order must define these minimum competencies.
The content of this page remains current and will be modified as soon as this Order comes into force.
Supervised learning is possible from the age of 18. It concerns category B of the driving license. Learning has a 1mother initial training phase provided by the car-school (traffic code + 20 hours minimum driving time), and a 2nest supervised driving phase with an attendant. The choice for the supervised driving phase may be made after initial training or after failing the practical test of the license examination.
You must meet the following conditions:
- 18 years or older
- Have the agreement of the vehicle insurer
Learning involves 2 steps:
- Initial training in a car school
- Supervised driving with an accompanying person
The auto-school must offer you a standard contract for the teaching of driving ..
This contract specifies in particular the program and the course of the training, the price of the training and the administrative services, the obligations of each, the means of payment...
You will be provided with a learning booklet that indicates the objectives of the training.
Initial training shall consist of a theoretical and a practical part.
The practical part must have a minimum of 20 hours of training (including 15 hours on open lanes, or at least 10 hours in the case of a driving simulator).
However, this rule does not apply to the following candidates:
- You already hold another category of the license, except for categories AM and B1 (the length of the training depends on your progress in learning)
- You have limited training in driving vehicles equipped with automatic gearboxes (minimum training of 13 hours, including 10 hours on open lanes, or at least 7 hours in the case of driving simulators)
At the end of the training, if the assessment of your acquired skills is good, you will receive an Initial Training Completion Certificate (AFFI).
Supervised driving phase
Before starting the supervised driving phase, you must meet the following conditions:
- Have passed the code (General Theory Test or GSS) or already held a license category for up to 5 years
- Holding the certificate of completion of initial training
The supervised driving phase begins with a minimum driving sequence of 2 hours with at least one attendant, on a vehicle of the driving school. A guide is given to the accompanying person.
Throughout supervised driving, you must meet the following conditions:
- Driving in France (no driving abroad)
- Road and motorway traffic
- Circulate at different times of day and night and under different weather conditions
- Meet specific speed limits
The accompanying person must meet all of the following conditions:
- Hold a B license for at least 5 years
- Obtaining the agreement of his insurance company (the insurer may refuse if the attendant has committed serious offenses)
- Not having been punished, in the previous 5 years, by a cancelation or invalidation of the driving license
It is possible to have several attendants, inside or outside the family setting.
A distinctive sticker or magnetized sign shall be affixed to the left rear of the vehicle (and to the trailer if necessary).
When you feel ready, you can take (or retake) the practical test of the driver's license exam.
if successful, supervised driving training shall not reduce the probationary period of driving license..
- Route code: Articles L211-1 to L211-7Supervised driving (Article L211-4)
- Route code: Articles R211-3 to R211-7Supervised conduct (R211-5-1)
- Order of 29 July 2013 on the learning booklet for category B driving license
- Order of 20 April 2012 laying down the conditions for the establishment, issue and validity of driving licenses
- Order of 22 December 2009 on the training of motor vehicles of category B in an approved educational institution