Driving licenses: early learning (AAC) from 15 years of age
Verified 01 March 2024 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
What is it? Early Learning to Drive (AAFC) ? What are the conditions to start the accompanied driving ? Who can be companion ? What minimum duration ? What minimum distance ?
We'll show you the rules to know on Early Learning to Drive (AAFC).
Early Learning to Drive (AAFC) concerns you if you have 15 years or older and that you want to get the permit B.
After the initial training driving school, a accompanied driving period allows you to have a driving experience with a relative (escort) front of take the practical test of the B-permit.
If you have obtained the certificate of completion of initial training as part of the early learning of driving, you get by equivalence the practical part of the road safety certificate for the light motor quadricycle option.
You must complete all conditions following:
- Have 15 years or older at the time of enrollment in driving school
- Have the agreement of your legal representative
- Pass the code (general theoretical test or ETG) or hold a class of license for up to 5 years
- Have followed the practical training in driving school
- To have obtained the certificate of completion of initial training (AFFI)
- Have the agreement of your car insurance for driving the vehicle(s) used during supervised driving. The AFFI must be forwarded to your insurance company. One extension of warranty may be necessary.
- Join 1 date of Minimum 2 hours as a driving sequence, with a driving instructor and at least one accompanying person. One guide on the accompanied driving shall be given to the accompanying person.
You must also meet the requirements for passing the B-permit.
You can drive a light vehicle (PTAC: titleContent not exceeding 3,5 tons) of category B.
The vehicle used may be at manual gearbox or automatic.
Your escort may be a member of your family or a friend.
You can have one or more accompanying persons.
Each accompanying person must complete the 3 conditions following:
Participation in 2 educational events
You must participate in 2 appointments with a driving instructor and at least one accompanying person:
- The 1er meeting takes place between 4 and 6 months after the issue of the certificate of completion of initial training (AFFI)
- The 2ndnd meeting takes place when you have traveled at least 3 000 km.
Every appointment lasts 3 hours and includes a practical part and one theoretical part.
Rules of conduct
You must respect all rules following:
- Driving with your companion. It must be seated at the front from the vehicle next to you.
- Driving during Minimum 1 year
- Browse 3,000 km minimum
- Drive in France. Movement abroad is prohibited.
- Driving on the road network and motorway at different times in the day and the night and by various weather conditions
- Respect specific speed limits
For identify the vehicle as learning vehicle, you must place a distinguishing sign self-adhesive or magnetized at the rear left (and on the trailer if necessary).
During the Accompanied driving (AAC), the subsequent documents must be presented in the event of a roadside check by the police:
You must have 17 years or older to pass the practical test of the B-permit.
If successful, you will receive your Driver's License Examination Certificate (CRC).
The ECCP shall have a period of validity of 4 months from the day of the examination.
Until you're 17, you must drive with your accompanying person. You can drive alone only from 17 years of age.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region