What vehicle papers are required during a roadside check?
Verified 07 July 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
During a road check by the police (police, gendarmerie), you must present the following documents, in paper format :
- Driving license
If you have just obtained a driver's license, present the Driver's License Examination Certificate (CRC) with favorable mention.
In case of accompanied driving, the person accompanying the student driver must present his or her license.
In case of loss or theft of the license, on loss or theft report receipt replaces the permit for Maximum 2 months.
- Carte grise Certificate of Registration (C.A.R.), and if necessary carte grise trailer's
Carte grise carte grise You must present the vehicle description even if it is not yours (a copy of the description for a rental vehicle).
If the application for vehicle registration is in progress, submit the Provisional Certificate of Registration (PIC).
Carte grise The gift of vehicle subject to roadworthiness tests constitutes a proof of roadworthiness if it is completed with the registration certificate or with the expiry date of the check.
- Certificate of insurance
You must present the insurance certificate even if the vehicle does not belong to you.
- If you drive a 3-wheel scooter or a 125 motorcycle with a B license (license obtained since March 1980), certificate of training or information statement from your insurer
- If you have an obligation to driving with a DAE, document certifying that your vehicle is equipped with an alcohol ignition interlock (EAD) and its operation has been verified.
You must also present the judicial or administrative decision authorizing you to drive a vehicle equipped with a DAE.
What is the fine if the insurance certificate of the vehicle is not presented?
If you are unable to present the insurance certificate, you are invited to present it in a 5-day period with a police station or a gendarmerie brigade.
If you don't meet this deadline, you risk a fine up to €750.
Driving without car insurance is one offense. You may be fined €3,750.
Carte grise What is the fine for failure to produce a driver's license?
Carte grise If you are unable to present the Certificate of Registration (C of R) and your driver's license, you may be fine up to €38.
You are asked to justify within 5 days carte grise that you have the driver's license.
If you don't do that, you're also at risk of fine up to €750.
The same penalties apply if you do not have the required proof in case of driving a 3-wheel scooter or a 125 motorcycle with a B license or in case of driving a vehicle equipped with a DAE.
Driving without a license is one offense. You may be fined €15,000.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Order of 9 February 2009 on the procedures for the registration of vehicles
- Highway Code: Articles R233-1 to R233-3Behavior in the event of a roadside check
- Insurance Code: Articles R211-14 to R211-21Certificate of insurance
- Who should drive with an alcohol interlock test (EAD)?
- Carte grise: what is the Interim Certificate of Registration (IPR)?
- Do I need to register a trailer or caravan?
- Do you need insurance to drive a car without a license?
- Road traffic control: what is the fine for driving without insurance?
- Road traffic control: what penalties should be imposed in the event of driving without a license?
- Can you drive a 3-wheel scooter or a 125 motorcycle with the B license?
- What is the fine for non-compliance with a driving license restriction (wearing glasses...)?
- Is it forbidden to make headlight calls?
- Is it forbidden to honk your car?
- Can you smoke in a car?
- Seat belt, child or baby car seat: what are the rules?
- Can you be exempted from wearing a seat belt?
- Driving license balance: how to know the number of points?
- Carte grise (Certificate of Registration)Service-Public.fr
- Motor insurance (vehicle)Service-Public.fr
- Driving licenseService-Public.fr
- Traffic offensesService-Public.fr
- Technical inspectionService-Public.fr
- Compulsory car equipment: safety vest, triangle...Service-Public.fr
- Certificate and certificate of insuranceService-Public.fr
- Road Safety SiteMinistry of the Interior
- The ignition interlock alcohol test (EAD)Ministry of the Interior