What do the codes added to Licence B mean?
Verified 05 February 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Some additional information are sometimes added to line 12 of permit B.
These codes specify your right to drive: administrative restriction, medical restriction, vehicle adaptation...
Code 1 means that you have to wear a driver correction device.
The code for glasses is 01.01.
The code for the lenses is and 01.02.
if you are wearing lenses, it is recommended to have your corrective glasses in the vehicle.
Code 2 means you have to wear hearing aids to drive.
Restrictive code 10 means that you have obtained a B licence on a gearbox adapted to a physical disability.
Automatic transmission gearbox
Code 10.02 means that you have obtained a B licence on an automatic transmission gearbox.
Code 69 means that you have obtained the B licence with the obligation to drive a vehicle equipped with an approved anti-start test (EAD) device.
Permit obtained by exchange
Code 70 means that your licence was obtained through the exchange of a foreign licence.
Restrictive code 78 means that your B licence is limited to auto-changing vehicles.
in order to drive a manual car, you have to follow a 7-hour training in labelled autoschool minimum 3 months after the permit.
Camping-car of + 3 500 kg
The code 79 (motor home/motor caravan with a PTAC exceeding 3,5 tons) means that you retain the rights to your licence B obtained before 20 January 1975.
This entry authorises a motorhome of + 3,5 tons abroad.
Code 96 on permit B means that you can drive a car with a trailer under the following conditions:
- PTAC: titleContent greater than 750 kg,
- and PTAC of the whole, car + trailer, greater than 3 500 kg but less than 4250 kg.
to obtain additional 96, you must follow a 7-hour training in a car school or approved association .
- Directive 2006/126 of 20 December 2006 on driving licences
- Order of 20 April 2012 fixing the conditions of establishment, issue and validity of the driving licence
- Order of 17 January 2013 concerning the training required for holders of category B for the conduct of a combination with a PTAC of between 3500 and 4250 kg
- Which vehicles can be driven with the B licence?
- After eye surgery, do you need to apply for a new driver's licence?
- Examination of driving licence: what facilities for disabled people?
- Online application for a driving licence: how do you find help?
- How do I keep track of how I make my driver's licence?
- How do I report an error on my driver's licence?
- Permit B: car or vanService-Public.fr
- Driver's licence: additional informationLegifrance
- Qualified driving schoolMinistry of the Interior
- School of associative conductMinistry of the Interior