How do I get a driver's licence when I have a disability?
Verified 08 April 2022 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
You have a disability and you want to get a driver's licence? This is possible if you are recognised as fit by a licenced physician during a medical examination. The examination of the permit is organised according to your disability: physical (reduced mobility), auditory (deaf or hard of hearing), dys disorders...
You must complete 2 to register for the driving test:
Contact the local driving test department: interdepartmental directorate (office of road education) or prefecture.
This service tells you facilities that you need to learn how to drive and the self-schools that teach with these amenities.
You can also request dates of specialised sessions to present yourself at the permit tests.
Who shall I contact
Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement
If you are deaf or hard of hearing
Of specialised sessions are at least 2 times a year to pass the driving test.
One sign language interpreter can assist you.
You can also benefit from adapted communication device of your choice.
The theoretical test (code) lasts 1h30.
Additional time may be allowed during practical test in case of communication difficulties.
If you have a physical disability (reduced mobility)
On practical test, you can be assisted by an expert or an accompanying person.
The inspector may suggest that you begin the examination with the outside questions and technical checks.
One overtime may be granted in case of mobility difficulties.
If dual control vehicle suitable for disabled people is used, it must meet the following conditions:
- Have been in circulation for up to 10 years, except
- Have specific equipment: dual-brake control, additional rear-view mirrors outside and inside if the vehicle allows, dual steering control (steering wheel)
If you are dysphasic, dyslexic or dyspraxic
You can pass code in sessions provided that one of the 3 supporting documents following:
- Recognition of the quality of the disabled worker (RQTH) or recognition of disability obtained from the departmental house of disabled persons (MDPH) and a diagnosis of dyslexia and/or dysphasia and/or dyspraxia
- Recognition of adjustments to national educational tests for learning disabilities of written, oral and/or written language and/or acquisition of coordination
- Medical certificate issued for less than 6 months attesting to a specific disorder of the language and/or the reading and/or the acquisition of the coordination and requiring an adjustment of the conditions of passage of the general theoretical test
if you have a poor command of french, you can use a translator-interpreter approved by an appeal court, at your own expense. Specify in your driving licence application that you are not fluent in French.
Theoretical Test (Code)
Code passage is free if you complete 2 following:
- You have a medical opinion on your driving ability given your disability
- You are required to make periodic medical visits after obtaining the permit
In other cases, you have to pay €30.
The self-school can charge an accompanying fee to the theoretical test of the code.
Prices are free and vary according to the school.
The disability compensation (PCH) can partially fund driving lessons.
If a driver's licence is required for your business project, you can apply for financial assistance from the following organisations: Agefiph: titleContent, Fund for the Integration of Persons with Disabilities in the Public Service (FIPHFP) or CDAPH: titleContent in your department.
Who shall I contact
Check with your departmental house for disabled people (DDPH).
The permit is issued on favourable medical opinion.
The doctor prescribes period of validity according to disability.
- If the disability is not stabilised, the period of validity of the permit shall be limited.
You must pass one again medical visit at the end of this period.
- If the disability is stabilised, the period of validity of the permit may be permanent.
any facilities that allow you to drive are indicated as codes on your driving licence.
- Route Code: items R221-3-1 to R221-3-3Test Organisation
- Route Code: items R221-9 to R221-13Validity of permit (sections R221-10 to R221-13)
- Route Code: items R412-6 to R412-16Obligations of the driver (Article R412-6)
- Order of 28 March 2022 listing medical conditions incompatible with or compatible with the obtaining or maintaining of a driving licence or which may result in limited validity
- Order of 1 June 2016 concerning the fee paid for the passage of the general theoretical test of the driving licence
- Order of 26 April 2013 concerning the notification of the results of driving licence examinations
- Order of 20 April 2012 fixing the conditions of establishment, issue and validity of the driving licence
- Order of 19 February 2010 concerning the practical test for the examination of driving licence B and B1
- How to pay for the driver's licence: allowed one euro, apprentice, unemployed... ?
- What do the codes added to Licence B mean?
- Translation of a document: how to find a certified translator?
- Driver's licence: how to pass the code (common theoretical test)?
- Which licence for which category of vehicles?
- Which vehicles can be driven with the B licence?
- Motor insurance (vehicle)Service-Public.fr
- Driving licences and medical examinations for health reasonsService-Public.fr
- Permit B: car or vanService-Public.fr
- Inclusion Mobility Card (MIC)Service-Public.fr