Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Class C HGV Licences: more than 3,5 tons

Verified 02 mai 2022 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

You want to take the C licence and you wonder how old and what licence you should have? Permit C authorises the driving of vehicles used for the carriage of goods or equipment PTAC is greater than 3,5 tons. To pass a C permit, you must be at least 21 years old and have a B permit. A medical check is required. This page shows you the rules you need to know to pass the C permit.

A C licence allows you to drive a vehicle that presents 3 characteristics following:

  • Assigned to transport goods or equipment
  • PTAC greater than 3,5 tons (without upper limit)
  • 9 seats maximum (driver included)

You can tow a trailer with a PTAC of not more than 750 kg.


You must have at least 21 years unless you are taking professional driver training (CAP, Bac pro, professional title, Fimo).

Required prerequisite

You have licence B to be able to pass the C permit.

Citizenship - Nationality

You are French

If you are under the age of 25, you must be in good standing with census obligations.

You are European

If you are a Swiss, Andorran, Monegasque or the European Economic Area (EEA), you must have your personal and/or professional ties for at least 6 months in France.

You are foreigners

You must have lived in France for at least 6 months and have a valid residence permit.


You have to medical check before taking the C licence tests.

Through a training centre

Upon your request, your centre will take care of your application for the permit.

However, you must activate the account created on your behalf on theCHILDREN. You receive an email to activate the account.

The file must include the following documents:

  • If you are French and under 25 years of age, copy of the individual certificate of participation in the defence and citizenship day (JDC) or provisional certificate pending at the JDC or individual exemption certificate
  • If you are a foreigner, proof of your regular stay or, if you are exempt from a residence permit, proof of your presence in France for at least 6 months (payroll, rent receipt...)

By yourself

You can choose to register for the permit yourself.

You must create an account on theCHILDREN and get your IDs.

Driver's licence: online request for a NEPH number

National Secured Securities Agency

To register online, you need the following documents in a scanned version:

  • If you are French and under 25 years of age, copy of the individual certificate of participation in the defence and citizenship day (JDC) or provisional certificate pending at the JDC or individual exemption certificate
  • If you are a foreigner, proof of your regular stay or, if you are exempt from a residence permit, proof of your presence in France for at least 6 months (payroll, rent receipt...)

You pass the code (ETG) via a school car or as a free candidate.

To be exempted from the code, at least one of the following conditions :

  • Have obtained a favourable result for the theoretical test (code) for a maximum of 5 years
  • Have a licence category for 5 years or less, except AM category
  • Have a French driving licence obtained by exchange (code 70) for 5 years or less
    Code 70 must be followed by the following letters: DE (Germany), AT (Austria), BE (Belgium), BG (Bulgaria), CY (Cyprus), HR (Croatia), DK (Denmark), ES (Spain), EE (Estonia), FI (Finland), GR (Greece), HU (Hungary), IE (Ireland), IT (Italy), LV (Latvia), LT (Lithuania), LU (Luxembourg), MT (Malta), NL (Country) Netherlands), PL (Poland), PT (Portugal), CZ (Czech Republic), RO (Romania), SK (Slovakia), SI (Slovenia), SE (Sweden), IS (Iceland), LI (Liechtenstein), NO (Norway).

Code waiver may be granted if you present any of the following:

  • Valid driving licence
  • Certificate of temporary examination of the valid driver's licence, paper or dematerialised (4 months maximum)

  Warning : From 2021, categories A1 or A2 no longer allow a code waiver (general theoretical test or GSS).


Auto-school must offer you a standard contract for the teaching of driving .

This contract shall specify in particular programme and course of training, price training and administrative services, obligations of each means of payment.

There is no minimum training hours required for the "heavy goods vehicles" category of the driving licence.


Attendants are required for the duration of the tests.

Out of circulation test (HC)

The objective of the HC test is to verify your knowledge in particular as regards transport regulation and loading and mechanical safety.

She understands multiple : written and oral questions, routine security checks, manoeuvrability exercises.

To be admitted, you must more than 16 points, not have a playoff score and have favourable result for the manoeuvrability exercise.

You keep the benefit of the HC test for 3 circulating tests (CIR) for a maximum of 1 year from the successful completion of the HC test, provided that the theoretical test is validated.

Running Test (CIR)

The CIR test takes place on varied itineraries.

The following skills are assessed :

  • Settle and ensure safety on board
  • Autonomy and risk awareness
  • Know and use commands
  • Take information
  • Adapt your look to the circumstances
  • Enforce Regulation
  • Communicate with other users
  • Share the pavement
  • Maintain security spaces

To be accepted to the CIR test, you must obtain at least 17 points and do not make any eliminatory errors.

  FYI : the self-schools preparing for driving licences BE, C1, C, C1E, CE, D1, D, D1E and DE may book tickets for the practical event on site in the following departments:

Ain (01), Allier (03), Alpes-de-Haute-Provence (04), Hautes-Alpes (05), Alpes-Maritimes (06), Ardèche (07), Ariège (09), Aude (11), Aveyron (12), Bouches-du-Rhône (13) , Cantal (15), Corrèze (19), Creuse (23), Drôme (26), Gard (30), Haute-Garonne (31), Gers (32), Gironde (33), Hérault (34), Isère (38), Landes (40), Loire (42 ), Haute-Loire (43), Lot (46), Lot-et-Garonne (47), Lozère (48), Puy-de-Dôme (63), Pyrénées-Atlantiques (64), Hautes-Pyrénées (65), Pyrénées-Orientales (66), Rhône (69), Savoy (73), Haute-Savoie (74), Tarn (81), Tarn-et-Garonne (82), Var (83), Vaucluse (84), Haute-Vienne (87).

After the practical test, the inspector does not communicate the result orally to you.

You should consult the results online on the Road Safety website 48 hours after the exam.

If the result is favourable, you can download your driving licence examination certificate.

This certificate, together with an identity document, serves as a driver's licence for 4 months from the day of the examination.

In case of police control, you can present the CEPC in paper version or directly on a smartphone or tablet.

The CEPC does not lead to foreigner.

Before the end of 4 months, you request the new category on your licence.

  FYI : if you fail a driving test, you cannot take the next test before 2 days (date to date).

The validity period of Class C of the licence depends on your age:

Period of validity of permit according to age

Driver Age


Under 55

5 years

55 to 60 years

5 years or until the anniversary of 60 years

60 to 76 years

2 years or until the 76 year anniversary

Over 76

1 Year

  Warning : you must pass medical check before you apply for your licence renewal.

The renewal application is made online on the website of theCHILDREN before the expiry of the period of validity of the driving licence.

Online application for a driving licence upon expiry

National Secured Securities Agency

Accessible with FranceConnect or identifiers CHILDREN. If you don't have one, you are asked to create an account to have a personal space on the ANTS website.

You follow the production and sending of your driving licence online.

Once connected to your space CHILDREN, you view your request in the dashboard.

Driver's licence: follow the progress of his driving application

National Secured Securities Agency

Accessible with FranceConnect or with your IDs.

Shipping driver's licenceExpert Letter.

This is a secure shipment, with hand-over against signature.

  • The address you specify during the online procedure must be as complete as possible
    (building number, flat number, mailbox number, floor, corridor, staircase, "resident",...)
  • Your mailbox must include the first and last name of the person receiving the mail.

If you are absent when the postman passes, you must go to the Post Office in the 15 days with your notice of passage or with the number of the Expert Letter.

If you couldn't get to the Post Office within 15 days, you don't have to do anything.

Your permit will be sent to you.

In other cases, contactCHILDREN via the contact form:

Who shall I contact