Gray card: what if you buy the vehicle before the end of the lease?
Verified 24 January 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
You can buy back the vehicle before the end of the lease agreement provided you have the agreement of your lender. You will then be able to apply for a gray card and be listed as a holder, as this is a change of ownership.
You can request a gray card
- or online
- or with an authorized professional.
To perform the online process, a digital copy device (scanner, digital camera, smartphone or tablet equipped with a photo function) is required.
Of numeric points (with computers, printers and scanners) are available in each prefecture and in most sub-prefectures. You can accomplish the process, helped by mediators if you encounter difficulties with the use of the Internet.
You can also be accompanied in your walk in a house of services to the public.
Who shall I contact
You have 1 month to do the walk. Then, if you cannot produce the new gray card during a road test, you risk a fine of up to €750 (in general, lump sum from €135).
You must use the following remote service.
You must identify yourself through France Connect..
You must have transfer codegiven by the former owner of the vehicle.
You must also have a digital copy (photo or scan):
- a proof of identity by co-holder
- gray card of the vehicle, marked with or , and with the signature of the lender,
- if your vehicle is more than 4 years old, proof of valid roadworthiness tests, unless the vehicle is exempt from technical inspection.. The technical inspection must be less than 6 months old on the day of the gray card application. If the deadline is exceeded, you will have to carry out a new check at your expense.
You must also provide information, including the identity of the holder (and possibly co-holders) of the gray card: surname, given names, sex, date and place of birth, telephone number and e-mail address.
You must certify on the honor that the gray card applicant has
- a vehicle insurance certificate
- and a driving license corresponding to the category of the registered vehicle.
You do not have to attach a digital copy (photo or scan) of the driver's license. However, you may be asked to do so when you are examining your file.
Regulation gray card amount must be made by credit card.
At the end of the procedure, you will get:
- a file number,
- an acknowledgement of your application
- and an Interim Certificate of Registration (ICC), which you must print out. The CPI allows you to travel for 1 month, only in France, waiting to receive your gray card.
You will receive the final gray card under secure fold at home a delay that may vary.. You can follow the progress of its manufacture online:
With a qualified professional
You must submit the following documents:
- gray card of the vehicle, marked with or , with the signature of the lender,
- Form cerfa 13757*03 to a professional
- Proof of identity (original), one per co-holder
- Proof of domicile (original), or in the case of joint holders, the proof of the person whose address will appear on the gray card
- Gray Card Cost, by check or by credit card (in addition to taxes and gray card fees, the professional can ask you to pay a fee to carry out the procedure on your behalf, their amount is not capped)
- Proof of technical inspection, if the vehicle is more than 4 years old and is not exempt.. The check must be less than 6 months (2 months if countervisit has been prescribed) and must have been performed in France. It must be less than 6 months old on the day of the gray card application: if the deadline is exceeded, you will have to carry out a new check at your expense.
- Form cerfa n°13750*05
- Form cerfa 15776 a declaration of transfer of the vehicle completed and signed by the former and the new owner (if there are several joint owners, each must sign it). If you have lost the completed and signed form, you will need to contact the seller to remake the form.
Who shall I contact
If you have lost your credit card before taking action, you should contact the lender to let them know.
If you have been robbed, you must file a complaint for theft with the gendarmerie or police station in your home or place of theft, which will stamp your form.
In both cases, then contact the lender to request a duplicate gray card.
You must go to a police station or the gendarmerie of your choice.
The police or gendarmerie are obliged to register the complaint.
The complaint is then transmitted to the public prosecutor to decide on the follow-up (investigation, classification without follow-up...).
If you do not know the author of the facts, you can fill out a pre-complaint online before moving.
You will then get an appointment and the police or gendarmes will already have the elements of your complaint when you arrive.
One Provisional Certificate of Registration (ICC) will be made available immediately. It allows you to travel for a month (in France only) while waiting to receive your final gray card.
conversion of an old registration (type 123 AB 01, FNIF) in number SIV shall not affect the validity of the technical control. The minutes of the technical inspection shall be authentic.
In addition to the cost of the gray card, the professional will charge you a sum corresponding to the service he performs on your behalf. This sum is freely fixed by the professional.
- Route code: Articles R322-1 to R322-14Issuance of Certificate of Registration
- Order of 9 February 2009 on the procedure for the registration of vehicles
- Follow your gray card request
- Request a gray card from a used vehicle with a French registration
- Digital PointsMinistry of the Interior