What residence permits do you need to stay in France for more than 3 months?

Verified 18 May 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

If you are an adult foreigners national and wish to stay in France for more than 3 months, you must hold a long-stay visa or a residence permit. However, if you are a national of a European country or a Swiss national, this obligation does not apply to you. We will show you which residence permit or long-stay visa you need according to your nationality.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

European or Swiss citizen

If you are a citizen of a country of the European Economic Area or switzerland, you are not obliged to hold a residence permit. However, you can get one if you do demand.

The your accompanying family members and who are of a foreign nationality other than that of an EEA or Swiss country must hold one of the following cards:


You must have one of the following documents:

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region