Motorcycle License: permit A (large displacement greater than 125 cm3)
Verified 04 June 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Additional cases ?
Covid-19 (curfew) Driving license: travel regulations
Published on 15 December 2020
Containment ended on December 15 at 8 p.m...
However, a curfew shall apply from 15 december , between 20 and 6 hours (except 24 December).
Travel is prohibited during the curfew, except in the cases provided for in the derogating certificates..
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the the ANTS and Road safety.
The A license allows you to drive all motorcycles with or without side-car and all 3 motor wheels, regardless of their power. You cannot pass the A license directly. It is mandatory to first pass the A2 permit, to have 2 years of practice, then to follow a 7-hour complementary training (the price of the training is free and varies according to the motorcycle-schools).
License A permits the following vehicles to be driven:
- Motorcycle, with or without side-car, whatever its power
- 3 wheels with a power exceeding 15 kilowatts
the limitation of the power of the motorcycle is not limited if the motorcycle is equipped with anti-lock braking system (ABS).
The minimum age requirement is:
- Motorcycle: 20 years
- 3 wheels with a power exceeding 15 kilowatts: 21 years
You must be the owner of the category A2 for at least 2 years.
The auto-school must offer you a standard contract for the teaching of driving ..
This contract specifies in particular the program and the course of the training, the price of the training and the administrative services, the obligations of each, the means of payment...
You can take the training within 3 months before the anniversary date of the 2 years of obtaining the A2 permit.
If you got the A2 permit on the 1stto August 2020, you must complete the training between 1to May 2022 and July 31, 2022.
Training lasts 7 hours
The program is divided into 3 sequences.
To take this training, speak to a motorcycle school or to an association approved by the state.
Prices are free.
At the end of the training, your trainer will give you a follow-up certificate.
There is no exam to take.
this certificate does not allow you to drive a motorcycle or a 3-wheel vehicle in category A. You must have the corresponding license.
The motorcycle school is responsible for applying for your A license.
You must provide the following documents:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of domicile
- 2 identity photos (or digital photo identification if the car school makes the registration online)
- Copy of your A2 license
- Certificate of follow-up to the training required to move from category A2 to category A
- If you are French and under 25 years of age, copy of the individual certificate of participation in the defense and citizenship day (JDC) or of the provisional certificate pending convocation at the JDC or of the individual certificate of exemption
- If you are a foreigner, proof of regularity of your stay or if you are exempted from holding a residence permit, proof of your presence in France for at least 6 months (payroll, rent receipt...)
Prices are free for the 7-hour training.
A category A driver's license issued since September 2013 is valid for 15 years from the date of issue.
Validity is indicated on the permit.
- Route code: Articles R221-4 to R221-8Issuance and categories
- Route code: Articles R221-9 to R221-13Proficiency Check
- Route code: Articles R226-1 to R226-4Medical check
- Order of 20 April 2012 laying down the conditions for the establishment, issue and validity of driving licenses
- Order of 23 April 2012 laying down practical procedures for the examination of driving licenses in categories A1, A2 and A
- Order of 8 November 2012 on the training required for category A driving license holders in category A2 for at least 2 years
- Order of 26 April 2013 on the notification of the results of driving license examinations
- Decree of 12 May 2014 on the learning booklet for categories A1, A2 and A of the driving license
- Motorcycle License: how to move from category A2 to category A?
- Can I drive a 3-wheeled scooter or a 125 motorcycle with a B license?
- Is the unloading of a motorcycle allowed?
- At what age can you drive a scooter or a motorcycle?
- Driving a mini-motorcycle, a quad bike, a moto cross: what are the rules?
- How do I get a new category added to my driver's license?
- Application for a driving license: what piece of identification can be presented?
- Which license for which category of vehicles?
- Traffic offensesService-Public.fr